Algae Bloom

hsky

Supporting
Reaction score
Did a 60% wc today and I want to avoid any algaecides/heavy chemicals to preserve my nicer SPS. Parameters are good across the board, just wondering what I should try to reduce the algae in the column? Glass is all cleared, everything in the pic is in the water. IMG_5266.jpeg

I had an algae bloom in a 20g quarantine system a couple months ago. I threw a small skimmer on and the next day it was clear. I had to empty the cup like 5 times though lol. I prefer a skimmer over UV since the skimmer actually removes the algae (and thereby also whatever is feeding the algae) versus just killing it.

I had an algae bloom in a 20g quarantine system a couple months ago. I threw a small skimmer on and the next day it was clear. I had to empty the cup like 5 times though lol. I prefer a skimmer over UV since the skimmer actually removes the algae (and thereby also whatever is feeding the algae) versus just killing it.
Toughest part is finding out what's causing it. I don't think theres anything specific, and I had just finished an awful fight with Dino's, so I honestly think I'm going through a "first cycle" again.

Toughest part is finding out what's causing it. I don't think theres anything specific, and I had just finished an awful fight with Dino's, so I honestly think I'm going through a "first cycle" again.
What's your nitrates & phosphates looking like? Also, I know you had mentioned you just did a 60% water change, but how often are you doing water changes?

What's your nitrates & phosphates looking like? Also, I know you had mentioned you just did a 60% water change, but how often are you doing water changes?
I do a weekly 10%, and my nitrates are pretty consistent around 6 ppm. Phosphate is undetectable, but my test kit is pretty junk. Theres a chance they are higher than 0 but I'm not 100%.

Are you making your own water or buying water? UV would def help clear it up from what I seen in green water.
Buying it from Pure Reef, I'll go pick up a sterilizer today and see the outcome. I pulled all my rocks yesterday and confirmed there was nothing dead in the tank, just a strange one-off thing I guess?

Back