Aiptasia killing laser

Rich Ross from reefbeef has been trying out a few different powered lasers recently and discussing it on the podcast. His seal of approval is enough to sell me on it. He‘s used them aiptasia, mojanos, palythoa(?) and vermetid snails. I’m picking one up in a couple of weeks for vermetids and fun.

This is what they are good for. When you see one or two pests and you can take them out with ease.

If your tank already has an infestation its like using a sling shot against an army.

After taking some time to evaluate I ordered a laser and it arrived this week. I bought this one from Zeus Laser. "Special Blue Laser 6 WATT For Saltwater Aquarium Aiptasia & Majanos Killing Removal"

I also bought these for added protection from Amazon.

LaserPair Laser Safety Glasses 355nm,405nm,445nm,450nm,532nm, 980nm,1064nm Q-switched Tattoo Removal Laser Safety Glasses for Laser Technician Nd:yag ,Green Laser ,Blue Laser Eye Protection Goggles

It is powered by 110v so no need to worry about batteries and I didn't have any indication that it was getting hot for the durations I was using it. It has a built in fan for cooling. The on/off button is not in an ideal location but wasn't challenging to operate.

I waited until I had the house to myself, locked the dog outside, put my safety goggles on and carefully got to work.

My worst infestation was also in the ideal spot to burn. Very close to the glass and direct line of site. There were over a dozen with a range of sizes from tiny to dime sized heads. At first, although it seemed to be doing something, I was not very impressed. Then I realized the laser has a focus bezel and I needed to dial in the focus based on distance. After a few tries I finally got the hang of it. When properly focused the 6w laser made short work of decimating the aiptasia. The aiptasia would start popping, sizzling and shriveling up in seconds.

With the laser fine tuned I was also able to easily pop a few that were at further distances and embedded in zoa colonies. A few I could not get directly at but I was able to burn off the tips of some tentacles before they backed into their hole that I couldn't reach.

I spent some time hitting vermitid bases but I'm not positive the impact yet. It definitely got their attention and from all of the crackling I'm optimistic. My infestation is way too bad to completely remove them however over time I might be able to put a dent in the ones in the worst spots and reduce the webbing.

On a couple occasions I could feel reflections from the laser on my hand when I was on an angle. I didn't burn anything, or myself, although I can definitely see how that could easily happen. These things are serious. I etched a piece of plywood with it and was amazed at how quickly it burned the wood.

FWIW
The multi-watt lasers being discussed here are Class IV (4) lasers.
They are the most hazardous class of lasers.

Unless you have both training and experience using such lasers, nothing you have done before can prepare you for what to expect of their hazards and how to safely operate them.

There are federal regulations for the safe use of lasers. The operator of the laser is legally responsible for their safe usage.

I would encourage anyone thinking about using a laser to educate yourselves first.
I have worked with lasers for 40+ years, in industrial, scientific and medical applications.
I have also been a corporate & medical laser safety officer and am a subject matter expert.
That experience includes power from micro watts to kilowatts and wavelengths from the ultraviolet to far infrared (ie- heat).

Be very careful to protect yourself, others & pets.
Once blind due to laser exposure, there is usually nothing medicine can do to restore vision.

Aptasia X and peppermint shrimp always work if I have an outbreak. That said you have to get
The AX over the oral disk for it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just taken some lemon juice and a syringe. It works, and it's very satisfying to stab those bastards

Its seems like there are too many variables...but...

Our little Copperband Butterfly has finally decided it likes eating aptasia and has completely cleaned out the 120!!!
We had around 20 little heads in our 120 and they are ALL gone in just a few days!

1671816811843.png

Its seems like there are too many variables...but...

Glad you posted this. I think I'm going to try this on my cube. I'll update ARC as well if it works for me.

Back