Aiptasia killing laser

k3nnyp

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have a proven laser they can recommend for killing aiptasia? I've tried Aiptasia X with no luck, they just multiplied. Partly due to them being hard to reach. Ive also had no luck with peppermint shrimp. I have direct line of site and suspect a laser would work on them. Any advice?

Hit or miss with aiptasia x but I have heard good things about F aiptasia working better. Never used a laser but sounds fun. As long as it wouldn’t hurt a fish that swam by or something

laser works... but kinda scary from all the warnings about vision damage.. .reflections and someone's pet maybe getting nuked, etc.. I have a high powered one but only used it a few times years ago

It is the most satisfying thing to watch them boil and pop. BUT its not very effective. If you dont melt the entire thing down to the base, it will come back. This is pretty hard to do from outside the tank at odd angles. You also have to watch for the reflection of the laser off the glass, I burned a hole in my shirt from this.

Overall its super fun, but its not going to solve any aptasia problems.

Aiptasia X works great in our tank, but every tank is different. Have you tried any of the other products on the market?

I haven't tried any other chemical options. The worst problematic area is a few inches from my front glass and no angles. My problem is I don't have good access from the front of the tank and its a 220 and my sandbed is 27" from the top.

The risks associated with using lasers that powerful are just too high for me to justify using them for killing aiptasia. I would physically move the rock or frag or whatever if I had to in order to reach it with a chemical. I would also consider getting a really long needle or see about using a small hose to dose it so you can get in tight spaces.

The risks associated with using lasers that powerful are just too high for me to justify using them for killing aiptasia. I would physically move the rock or frag or whatever if I had to in order to reach it with a chemical. I would also consider getting a really long needle or see about using a small hose to dose it so you can get in tight spaces.
I actually created one using air line tubing and it seemed to work well. Unfortunately it just spawned more and the problem got worse.

I use kalkwasser. I make a thick paste. Ive been using 20 years. But dont recommend doing a bunch at on time. It works everytime

There is a thread on R2R that is discussing using Chloroquine Phosphate in a reef tank to kill aiptasia. May be worth checking out depending on the severity of the infestation and the risks you are willing to accept. CP will harm your biological filter, but CP breaks down both biologically as well as with exposure to light, so it's relatively short lived exposure from what I read.

I have a reef delete. It’s probably the best option that’s mechanical there is. Only issue that it takes a min on each pest to work effectively and takes a toll on your arm if you have a lot in one session. Would still highly recommend it. Kills blue cloves at as well

Nothing will work if you don't get the base and all the tentacles. Most anything can be dangerous if you don't take precautions, some just require more precautions.

I have a laser but I'm a bit further now than then last time you came over @k3nnyp

I like Aiprasia-X. Some say they come back or get worse, but I believe it kills the ones I cover well. It takes persistence though, if they've gotten bad and I kill all the ones I see over several days, there are more not yet visible. Over several weeks of killing all that become visible they become more and more scarce. They seem to be completely eradicated in my DT for many months now, but it took removing a few hard to reach rocks to treat outside the tank.

I think lasers are ok but never use again. I bought several zoa frags and most had a aptasia on it. But when using the laser hope u got very steady hands

Rich Ross from reefbeef has been trying out a few different powered lasers recently and discussing it on the podcast. His seal of approval is enough to sell me on it. He‘s used them aiptasia, mojanos, palythoa(?) and vermetid snails. I’m picking one up in a couple of weeks for vermetids and fun.

Rich Ross from reefbeef has been trying out a few different powered lasers recently and discussing it on the podcast. His seal of approval is enough to sell me on it. He‘s used them aiptasia, mojanos, palythoa(?) and vermetid snails. I’m picking one up in a couple of weeks for vermetids and fun.
Get the most powerful you can. My 5w has trouble with vemetid's.

I think my vermitids are too far out of control for anything short of starting over. I've come to just accept them.

Back