Add a second drain input to sump?

shanepike

Market
Reaction score
I'm thinking about setting up a tank with a herbie overflow. Are there any easy ways to add a second drain input to this sump? I don't care about having a second filter sock. I'd just like a second input for the emergency drain.

1713730439186.png

I would just route the second drain to the same section, next to the sock. I'd terminate the pipe several inches above the water so that if it is more than just a trickle the noise difference would alert me.

I feel like the pipe needs support since it's going diagonally from a center overflow to the corner of the sump (which I should have mentioned to start with). I'd be fine with it if it was just dropping straight down, but I'm just not sure about the angle. I could use a PVC support bracket/strap, but it just feels like it would look cleaner to have a second input on the sump.

If it’s strictly for emergency then it can just be straight down or anywhere just to alert you and keep water in the sump. If you’re actually using it for the purpose of a herbie overflow you would want it closer to the other drain. Diagonal really doesn’t look that bad

I'm not concerned about the look, just about the weight of the water going through a free-hanging diagonal pipe with no support other than where it attaches to the overflow drain (plus the weight of the pipe).

I definitely wouldn't tie it into the other drain. You can dump it anywhere in the sump and as mentioned keep it above the water. The idea is the drain never gets used unless your tank is about to overflow. This is why you want it to be loud if it is in fact overflowing into that pipe.

Back