Luke's 250 Gallon DD Build

jrhunter0000;1082138 wrote: So is purple plus a more white I was thinking of running one in the white spot and running 2 blue plus in the blue spot I have a 4 bulb fixture what do you suggest it's my only light on a shallow 1ft deep zoa garden

To me it's more of a blue color.

I personally don't like ati as much as the old geissmann bulbs, but it is hard to find them.

Very nice! Can't wait to see those frags grow in! Going to be sick....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well do to some of the colors during the Ecotech shallow reef schedule, I've switched to a new schedule.

Lights come on at 6:30 with only 1% power so I can see everything before leaving the house. Around 11 the lights begin to ramp up to a 20K color, around noon the lighting is 15K. At 1 pm, the lights go to a 11K color and run until 6:30 along with the t5s which run from 1-5. They then follow the same pattern until 12:30.

Also, about a week ago, a friend of mine broke down his tank and needed a home for one of his fish.

So...

I introduce the valentine puffer :)

image.jpg1_zpsi4xaqn1n.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Haven't fully decided if he will be a permanent resident or not, but as of now he will stay in the tank.

LSU_fishFan;1083160 wrote: Also, about a week ago, a friend of mine broke down his tank and needed a home for one of his fish.

So...

I introduce the valentine puffer :)

image.jpg1_zpsi4xaqn1n.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Haven't fully decided if he will be a permanent resident or not, but as of now he will stay in the tank.
you mean zack?

Bad News

Over the weekend our ato pump went down and we forgot to reset it, this caused the water level in our sump to run low and ultimately running the return almost dry. Do to this, the pump began to vibrate the plumbing and we ended up with a small leak :sad:. At first we thought it was one of the bulkheads. So we proceeded to tighten it and monitor it for the night. The next morning we noticed a little more water dripping, which we thought might be from the leftover water between the tank and stand. Over the day, we started to notice a little more water dripping. After extensive troubleshooting, we have come to the conclusion that the tank has a broken seal at the right base of the tank.

The good news is that we won't be getting out of the hobby anytime soon ;)

Currently we are in the process of rehoming the tank inhabitants so we can get a better look at what we are dealing with.

LSU_fishFan;1086459 wrote: Bad News

Over the weekend our ato pump went down and we forgot to reset it, this caused the water level in our sump to run low and ultimately running the return almost dry. Do to this, the pump began to vibrate the plumbing and we ended up with a small leak :sad:. At first we thought it was one of the bulkheads. So we proceeded to tighten it and monitor it for the night. The next morning we noticed a little more water dripping, which we thought might be from the leftover water between the tank and stand. Over the day, we started to notice a little more water dripping. After extensive troubleshooting, we have come to the conclusion that the tank has a broken seal at the right base of the tank.

The good news is that we won't be getting out of the hobby anytime soon ;)

Currently we are in the process of rehoming the tank inhabitants so we can get a better look at what we are dealing with.
I'm sorry to hear this. Let us know the outcome

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

What size bulkheads are you using? I've got 3 left over from my build but they may be too big... 1-1/2"

That seriously sucks......so you think your tank itself is leaking, or just a bulkhead?

anit77;1086492 wrote: What size bulkheads are you using? I've got 3 left over from my build but they may be too big... 1-1/2"

Torqued;1086503 wrote: That seriously sucks......so you think your tank itself is leaking, or just a bulkhead?

Thanks for the offer Adam, after emptying the tank completely it appears that the tank is leaking :(.

Took a good 5 hours to transport everything into my frag system in the basement. We completely drained it then used the water from the 250 to refill. Everything looks ok, and I'm hoping we don't have any casualties due to stress.

Wow...I am a bit shocked that the vibration would cause the tank seal to blow out! Thankfully the fix is pretty easy... unfortunately the effort to empty the tank isn't :(

Torqued;1086528 wrote: Wow...I am a bit shocked that the vibration would cause the tank seal to blow out! Thankfully the fix is pretty easy... unfortunately the effort to empty the tank isn't :(

Same here.

I bought the tank used from another person and have owned it for two years now, I believe the previous owner had it for at least 4-5 years. When we bought the tank, I noticed that some of the silicone was torn in different parts of the tank, but didn't think it would be serious.

This morning I checked in on the coral in their holding tank, 90% of the coral have rtned and the rest look like they are on their way out :sad:

Unfortunately due to busy schedules we haven't been able to keep a close enough eye on everything and believe stress from temp, salinity, and other water parameters caused this to happen.

Oh @#$%. I have to admit I was pretty concerned when u said you were transferring them with such short notice

Torqued;1087068 wrote: Oh @#$%. I have to admit I was pretty concerned when u said you were transferring them with such short notice

They were kept in the same water with all the same rocks, so i thought the biological filtration would last. It's definitely heart breaking. Knowing what we spend on coral frags and watching them grow, you build a connection to them.

After this I am more anxious to setup the tank and start rebuilding everything. Hopefully I will be able to track down some of my favorite coral again.

Well. As you know I am starting soon too. My tank arrives in less than 2 weeks. Perhaps we can embark in that together. I really like the ORA corals. Let me know if you are interested in going in with me :)

Torqued;1087073 wrote: Well. As you know I am starting soon too. My tank arrives in less than 2 weeks. Perhaps we can embark in that together. I really like the ORA corals. Let me know if you are interested in going in with me :)

Will do. I think this time around I am going to try and obtain more of the high end sps since I have learned from my last round.

LSU_fishFan;1087074 wrote: Will do. I think this time around I am going to try and obtain more of the high end sps since I have learned from my last round.
Absolutely....my last tank ran out of room fast...so getting the best stuff is a wise move.

The ORA stuff is nice...they have really good colors and come as mini colonies as opposed to tiny frags. Plus they don't cost hundreds each. Key is finding a good distributor

Back