Under the Tank (Re)Build Thread

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
This started as an idea over a year ago, and I am finally at the point to post pictures. I probably should have cleaned the sump and emptied the skimmer collection cup... but hey, it's a working system. I am waiting for one final piece of equipment coming from Poland and delayed coming through customs.

1) The focal point of the upgrade was to replace the MRC sump. While a good product, the filter socks in the MRC were hard to reach, and the drains were noisy. After pursuing several paths to the ideal sump, including my own design, I settled on the GEO SU46RD sump.
- There is no splashing from the drains
- I can swap out three filter socks in about three minutes
- There is plenty of room for equipment
- Two independently adjustable Media reactors are built in
- It has other bell & whistles I haven't mentioned
- Build quality is top notch

2) My tank is a RR Marineland 180 with corner overflows. I work from home and am on daily conference calls. I needed to quiet down the tank so installed a modifier Herbie overflow (two siphons, two emergency drains, over the back returns.). This was by far one of the best decisions I made, along with the new sump, my drains are absolutely silent. All I hear is LED fixture fans and the skimmer pump. These will be tackled at some future point.

3) White plumbing is boring... so why not pimp it up a bit... orange!

4) Along the way I came across a great deal on an Ecotech Vectra L1 pump (out with the perfectly good Jebao DC-12000).

5) Then Neptune came out with their Flow Monitoring Kit... BAM!!! Now I am monitoring flow: from my two drains (helps to balance Herbie), into UV filter (keeping it at 185 gph), and flow into the two media reactors (Carbon and GFO).

6) Getting a bit radicle here... but I pulled out my calc reactor and Kalk reactor... opting to go full bore with Aquaforest dosing. The final part of the upgrade is to install a Pacific Sun Kore dosing pump (currently going through customs).

IMG_0228_zpsxluybbqy.jpg
alt="" /></a>

IMG_0227_zps5czyqbwf.jpg
alt="" /></a>

IMG_0226_zpsmyxaepgs.jpg
alt="" /></a>

IMG_0225_zps8qrm2h8v.jpg
alt="" /></a>
IMG_0224_zps7m3jxecq.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Wow, nice like the flow meters and pimped out piping! Some new high tech stuff going on there, how about a tank shot?

Erma Gawd..... I hate you.

Well not really, just kinda jealous of the set up. Looks good, be proud!

Sewer Urchin;1116419 wrote: Are those Flow monitors on the reactors as well

Yes... not sure how valuable... but found 30 gph seems to work for GFO and Carbon.

My concern is... why I didn't ask to look at your tank while I was there?
Nice build, really slick. Been pretending to do my project something like that for years now hehehe.

Back