Tiny Vermetid Snails or Something Else?

Chris L

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Folks, I'm a new member who just joined on Sunday (but I became supporting!). So, on Saturday I bought some new frags from a local shop (and I won't name names). When the guy pulled out one frag, it had these really dark tiny little cones. He went and grabbed a flathead screwdriver and scraped them off the hard skeleton base. He said this was some type of snail that let's out a fine invisible line. I got home and I dipped this frag (and all the others) in Coral Rx and gave it a two-stage rinse in tank water in two side by side containers of Tupperware. Before I glued this frag down, I noticed a few other dark cones and scraped them off with my thumbnail. Yesterday, I noticed that some white 'sand' was stuck to the back glass of my tank. Tonight, I noticed that some of this 'sand' had a wispy thread coming out of their tiny little cone-shape. I reached in and scraped off those things. But I now see a sheet-load of these sand things stuck on the back glass of my tank.

First, what is the name of these evil nano-snails? Second, what is the best approach to kill these things off with extreme prejudice and vindictiveness.

Thanks.

In the picture below, I've boxed in red one of the little white things with the thread hanging out.
PestClose-up.jpgPest2.jpg

Last edited:
Those are not vermatids and nothing to worry about. I forget exactly what they are but nothing to worry about. they stay small and dont snot up the tank for food.

Watch out for clear or brown ones that look similar but will have a tube sticking out from the surface. If you see that, kill.

I can’t quite tell from the photo, but the small ones on the glass may be Spirorbid worms, which as enderg mentioned, are harmless filter-feeders. If you do see more Vermetid snails though, you can either continue to scrape them off, or cover them with putty or reef-safe glue, to help eliminate them.

As the other said, not vermetid, they look like this. they have a hard skeleton that grows on the rock, and if you have them they are a nightmare to get rid of. I will crush them if I see them, or glue them shut, but even then they suck to get rid of. I don't know exactly what you have, but they don't look like the typical suspects that eat our beloved corals.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 3.32.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 3.32.02 PM.png

So I don’t know if this is a thing or not but in my tank many of the microfauna naturally come and go. Spirorbid worms being one of them.

Hey - I’ve got these things wondering around the walls of my tank - 2/8th” long and move like ants - I’m guessing they are good guys and maybe a future food source for something larger - any reason to be concerned? IMG_2525.jpegIMG_2524.jpeg

Back