Tank at night

Sbegley454

Market
Reaction score
Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question. Just looking for advice from experience. I’m wanting to set up a new tank in a high traffic room where lights seem to be on a lot more then usual ( I have teenagers that are in the area at all hours). My concern is stressing out the fish if lights are on and off ALOT at night. I was thinking about possibly covering the front of the tank at night with a curtain so the fish wouldn’t be bothered by the light. Obviously not the top to cause any circulation issues. Does anyone else do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is in the living room. They get used to it. My melanarus is asleep by 8:00 everyday when the lights are still on in the tank..lol

Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question. Just looking for advice from experience. I’m wanting to set up a new tank in a high traffic room where lights seem to be on a lot more then usual ( I have teenagers that are in the area at all hours). My concern is stressing out the fish if lights are on and off ALOT at night. I was thinking about possibly covering the front of the tank at night with a curtain so the fish wouldn’t be bothered by the light. Obviously not the top to cause any circulation issues. Does anyone else do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had my last tank in a high traffic area with my wife and I on different schedules and she would be up until almost 3am after getting back from work. Never seem to be an issue. She just kept minimal light on and TV volume low.

I think it's more about light intensity inside the tank. Like when their lights are on it's pretty high intensity, so they think it's sunlight, if you will. And then they get on a schedule of that said intensity. I wouldn't really put too much thought into it, that's what leads to overthinking and overcomplicating things with the tank. Which can make things more difficult in the hobby and make you less likely to do things in the with the tank. Just have your lights on a set timer and let it roll

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Agree with all the above. Fish will adjust. Corals care more about lighting intensity, not nuisance light in the evening. I find that my fish "go to bed" based on my lighting schedule and are not active or confused if we stay up later than usual with room lighting on.

I also had a reef tank in a room where the lights were on and off throughout the night though I did have to make the room pitch black once and use a red light to observe a eunicid worm that hitchiked into the tank and got huge but that's a story for another time haha.

Back