Sprung a leak!

Hands mcfeeler

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i bought a used tank off here a couple months back and was just about done with the cycle, when i woke this morning to the sound we all dread....that sprinkle of water in your house. 60 g cube with a leak in the joint on one corner. Is there someone that specializes in fixing this or is a lost cause?

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

If there is a leak, you need to empty it. strongly suggest a reseal of all the seams- ie take it apart and redo to assure good seam seals all around. I think there are a few maintenance guys who do this in our area. But the cost versus getting another tank can be prohibitive if you don’t want to diy it. With only 60 gallons and all the Black Friday sales, might be better to get a new tank with a warranty if you don’t want to reseal yourself.

Nope, but check the sales threads and maybe one will come up. Use a trough or brute or some other cheaper container to keep your system cycling, and repair your tank or replace when you can.
You can get a planet aquarium 60 gallon reef ready cube for about $675. But you would need to contact a dealer like Premier to order one.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I didnt have it this morning and dumped 25g plus the 15 i sucked off the floor. I mean, i guess i still got about forty gallons that i could transfer to a big bucket but dont have one now or really know what to do to keep it filtered if i did. I bummed about the sand but i have a home ro/di system for when i get ready for another tank. I'll just let the rock dry,is that ok?

Unfortunately, I didnt have it this morning and dumped 25g plus the 15 i sucked off the floor. I mean, i guess i still got about forty gallons that i could transfer to a big bucket but dont have one now or really know what to do to keep it filtered if i did. I bummed about the sand but i have a home ro/di system for when i get ready for another tank. I'll just let the rock dry,is that ok?

The rock is what cycles not the water. You can transfer the rock, whatever water you have and fresh water and sand into another container. If you let the rock dry, you will have to start again and depending on what has grown in the rock you might have to clean the rock before using again. I would keep it wet with a powerhead in a brute ASAP. Don’t let it dry if you are planning on resetting up with next year. I run rocks in brute containers for months before setting up new systems.

If you need a trough, I have a 50 gallon Rubbermaid you are welcome to borrow- Sandy Springs. It has a drain opening drilled. Or you can borrow a plastic pond from me. Only ask it be returned clean when done.

You are awesome! I think im good right now. Got the tank down below the leak and running a powerhead. Ill empty the sump and clean it then post for sale. Might just keep this in the garage until i can get a new tank then trash it. Seems ashame to trash all this glass

Back