Skimmer & Outside Air

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hey gang, I've got 2 holes on the skimmer air intake line and I'm wondering if running only one of those outside would be beneficial or should I just shoot for both of them. My thought is that if one gets clogged (the outside one) I'd still have some air intake so as not to flood the sump. Here's the thing, I know it wouldn't hurt but have any of y'all tried attaching running just one of them outside? In my situation, it's a lot easier to run the one that trying to figure out how to tie both of them together into a single line. Any thoughts?

The goal is to get my pH higher btw. My two systems are nearly identical in terms of levels and water volume but the tank that's 100% inside runs at 7.9 pH and the tank in my basement is usually in the 8.2-8.3 range. The difference is that my basement isn't sealed and the CO2 levels are much lower. I've never been one to worry too much about "chasing numbers" but the downstairs system exhibits better color and growth when everything is equal and pH is one of the most obvious differences.

IMG_20200912_142422.jpg

Why not make a basement fish room and move the sump down there? It’s be easy to run a line outside then if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you have better luck than I did. Tubing from the window to my skimmer had zero noticeable impact to my pH.

I'm happy with my coral growth and coloration, but I only have one tank ;)

The skimmer has two inlets only on the silencer, running one outside "may" help, but probably not. I'd just ditch the silencer and run the new outdoor line.

Last edited:
Hope you have better luck than I did. Tubing from the window to my skimmer had zero noticeable impact to my pH.

I'm happy with my coral growth and coloration, but I only have one tank ;)

I’m sorry to hear that. I have been running a CO2 scrubber, but wanted to cut down on costs and was thinking of running a tube to the window. What type of tube did you use and how far was it? Thanks

I believe the 2nd nipple on the silencer is there for those who want to run ozone. I would remove the silencer or plug the 2nd nipple. Not doing so will yeild poor results because most of the air will be pulled from the path of least resistance, that 2nd nipple inside the house.

I like to run 1/2" or 3/4" pvc pipe outside and attach an elbow with a piece of window screen pinched in there. That will keep bugs out. Then put a fitting inside to attach the intake hose from the skimmer.
This is a very cheap and easy way to boost pH.

I believe the 2nd nipple on the silencer is there for those who want to run ozone. I would remove the silencer or plug the 2nd nipple. Not doing so will yeild poor results because most of the air will be pulled from the path of least resistance, that 2nd nipple inside the house.

I like to run 1/2" or 3/4" pvc pipe outside and attach an elbow with a piece of window screen pinched in there. That will keep bugs out. Then put a fitting inside to attach the intake hose from the skimmer.

How much of a boost have you seen? My pH is 7.7 to 7.8 with dKH of 9.5 to 10 with room air. With the scrubber I get a pH of 8.2 to 8.3 with a dKH of 10. I use Kalk in my ATO.

The skimmer has two inlets only on the silencer, running one outside "may" help, but probably not. If just ditch the silencer and run the new outdoor line.

These +1. I ran a 1/2" braided flex line outside and it seems to work fine.

I’m sorry to hear that. I have been running a CO2 scrubber, but wanted to cut down on costs and was thinking of running a tube to the window. What type of tube did you use and how far was it? Thanks

Yeah, a scrubber seemed to be the consensus for me, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet since the corals don't seem to mind the 7.5-7.9 range. I do sometimes wonder what it would look like up at 8.2, but I'm happy with my stability.

Just used silicone tubing run to the window. Drilled out a relief in the trim so it wouldn't pinch the tube (filled and painted it afterward, so the wife doesn't know it's there, shhh).

The window is about 6 inches away from the skimmer :)

I have a stiff tubing (not collapsible) running from skimmer through wall to outside. Haven’t noticed much of a bump in pH. I haven’t tried anything else to raise it but it’s always in the back of my mind.

These +1. I ran a 1/2" braided flex line outside and it seems to work fine.
Braided flex line? Like the water lines you attach to the washing machine or what? Can you post a picture? Not getting much in the way of results with the tubing we are currently using. I think it’s 1/4”

How much of a boost have you seen? My pH is 7.7 to 7.8 with dKH of 9.5 to 10 with room air. With the scrubber I get a pH of 8.2 to 8.3 with a dKH of 10. I use Kalk in my ATO.
It wouldn't be uncommon to see up to a .2 to .3 bump, maybe more. It would really depend on how co2 bound the system is and how well the skimmer can off gas that co2.

Adding the alk component of 2-part at night helps too. My approach was to try and limit the valleys at night. That in turn will boost the peaks during photosynthesis in the lit day hours.

Every system is a little different and people manage the big 3 differently too. Fortunately there are a bunch of tools in our box and the way we implement them is based on the individual system.

CO2 level inside mostly depends on how air tight the house is, how many residents live inside and if you have a gas stove.

Today’s homes are sometimes criticized for being so air tight that they prevent air turnover. Leading to stale air/high CO2 levels/high volatile organic fumes, radon gas etc.

One way to solve this is to have an enthalpic air exchange unit installed, as part of the HVAC system.

As I recall, @Adam considered that and/or installed one?

Last edited:
As I recall, @Adam considered that and/or installed one?

Yes, I installed a standalone HRV in my basement. Well, it's 85% installed.
I still need to attach the exhaust line and zip tie up the connections on top along with running the wire for the wall mount controller.
Oh, and load balance it.

Sucks being sidelined with so much to do!

Back