Salinity Mixing

nmr2930

Supporting
Reaction score
Please please help... Every time I mix this salt I'm forced to clean up a white residue. which is taking entirely too much time... I tried various methods...

Mixing the salt over 2-3 days (which helps but thats too much time)
Pouring the salt slowly about a cup (or 2) an hour again helps but still puts me in that 2 day range...

How can I mix this salt within a 24 hour period.. with less drama.. please help

just dont worry about it.

Salinity and another brand I have used do they same thing. they say to mix and use not to let it mix for a while. I had found that in the cooler months it mixed better without cloudiness before heating the water. sometimes it would leave a film and sometimes not.

I mix & use for 2 hours in garage, stays cloudy for an hour after in tank. It's something precipitating, IMHO.....numbers are always good anyway....no worries.

Salinity is even worse than Seachem reefsalt which I normally use. Going back to the normal Seachem reefsalt after this bucket of salinity is gone.

iPhone, Tapatalk, Tpyos

Don't worry about the cloudiness. Just because it doesn't look good to you doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. There are a thousand threads out there that will give you info on this issue.

I agree Seth that it has been beat to death, and that cloudiness doesn't equate to bad salt or a problem. The salt is excellent. BUT the aesthetic issue of the cloudiness & powder coating is one which is undesirable to many people and I can't blame anyone for that.

@nmr2930

salinity is unlike any other salt currently produced and also has a tendency of behaving a little different. Any cloudiness will not be harmful if used but there are a few things that can help reduce clouding and deposits.

First, always mix at room temperature. The warmer the water, the more cloudiness is typically seen. Also, we have found that using a smaller pump really helps. I personally use a medium sized Koralia ( sorry, don't remember the model) to mix my 30 gallon vats at home and have no issues with cloudiness and residue. As strange as it sounds, it seems that the more agitation, the more cloudy the water gets. Lastly, we recommend using the salt within 24 hours, even if still cloudy. The cloudiness will clear fairly fast once added to the aquarium and will not harm any of the inhabitants. The longer any salt is mixed, the more time it has for the properties to degrade. CO2 dissolves into the solution from the surrounding atmosphere and will slowly break down components of the alkalinity. Using the mix within 24 hours helps reduce this effect.

I mix my 30 gallons in my garage and use the mix within an hour of two. Generally I have my RODI in the container a day or two before and don't start mixing until I am ready for my water change. I then add two big scoops of salinity and turn on the pump. Somewhere in the middle of cleaning up the tank I will check the salinity and make any adjustments which are typically very small. Then once I am finished in the tank I pump the water over and am done. My mix is almost always crystal clear and leaves very very little residue at the bottom of the drum.

I hope you find some of this info helpful, please let us know if we can help further.

I have a quick question. I am using salinity as it was referred to me by a LFS that is a sponsor here. I also mixed 30 gallons this weekend but had trouble with the amount of cups to add to get my salinity at 1.026. When you say you 2 big scoops how many cups are you referring too. BTW this is my 1st time mixing my salt at home so I know there is a trail and error period.

I am afraid that I am not sure how many cups it takes to fill my scoop. It is a big industrial scoop that I have had for quite some time now and I just know it takes a couple of scoops to get me right around 35ppt.

Hey Seachem,

This is part of the directions for Salinity. "2. Stir well to ensure a good mix. Although the salinity™ solution may be used immediately, we suggest mixing for approximately 24 hours to achieve oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium."

Maybe this is why people are having the cloudiness issue. They are following this to a tee, yet you say to use it sooner to prevent degredation and cloudiness.

de1nonly23;792149 wrote: I have a quick question. I am using salinity as it was referred to me by a LFS that is a sponsor here. I also mixed 30 gallons this weekend but had trouble with the amount of cups to add to get my salinity at 1.026. When you say you 2 big scoops how many cups are you referring too. BTW this is my 1st time mixing my salt at home so I know there is a trail and error period.

Best case is to weigh it and figure out how much you need. For me, 60oz of salinity = 15 gal at 1.025. Whereas I need 73.3oz to get to 1.025 with Seachem reef salt.

I always prefer weight over volume as it's more accurate & consistent.

Thanks Jeff. You are so right because the volume thing did not work at all :). I will be getting a scale before I make my next batch.

de1nonly23;792174 wrote: Thanks Jeff. You are so right because the volume thing did not work at all :). I will be getting a scale before I make my next batch.

Just make sure the scale is big enough. Most of the cheap ones only go up to 3lbs. A 10lb is much better.

Back