Questions on clowns

lgt92

Reaction score
Soooo..... I bought these Clowns last night and they have already spawned in my tank. I have no clue how to raise these things, but I would like to try if this is not going to cost an arm and a leg to setup something for them. I have read a few post online and everyone seems to have their own method. Currently these clowns are in a show tank. Their eggs are on one of the pieces of coral skeleton in my tank. So, I can easily remove them. My tank currently only has my pair of clowns, hermits, and emerald crabs. From what I read you can either remove the eggs when they get a silver color to them right before hatching or right after they hatch. What do you suggest? I have a small 10 gallon I can put them in. I read you need to have an air stone and heater. Feeding seems to be the most difficult part. Where does everyone get their food? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! -L :fish:

Hey there - you seem to have done your research. If I were you, i'd move the eggs instead of waiting until they hatch. Moving a bunch of fry (babies) is going to be difficult because not only are they moving around, but they are delicious to most everything else in the tank.

Once they do hatch, they will need food and they will need it constantly. I think the overwhelming majority of breeders feed rotifers in the early days as it's pretty easy and inexpensive to get going on your own. Right before the clowns hatch, you'll want to get some rotifers into the tank along with a little bit of food for them as well. From there, just keep the supply constant and you should be good to go. I wouldn't expect a great survival rate for your first go, but don't get discouraged.

Good luck!

LGT92;1058778 wrote: Soooo..... I bought these Clowns last night and they have already spawned in my tank. I have no clue how to raise these things, but I would like to try if this is not going to cost an arm and a leg to setup something for them. I have read a few post online and everyone seems to have their own method. Currently these clowns are in a show tank. Their eggs are on one of the pieces of coral skeleton in my tank. So, I can easily remove them. My tank currently only has my pair of clowns, hermits, and emerald crabs. From what I read you can either remove the eggs when they get a silver color to them right before hatching or right after they hatch. What do you suggest? I have a small 10 gallon I can put them in. I read you need to have an air stone and heater. Feeding seems to be the most difficult part. Where does everyone get their food? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! -L :fish:

From what I've read some time ago; it's a 24/7 job breeding fish. I've visited James Cook's place when he was breeding at he told me that it is very time consuming. Mind you; he had multiply families he was taking care of. You can find some of his links under the Breeder's Corner here at ARC. Maybe you have already read his posts.

Congrats! Hope the best for you on raising the small fries.

Wannabee

Back