Purchasing beginner Dive Computers for buddies

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hello!

Does anybody have advice on beginner and affordable Dive Computers?

I have my Advance OW, and my wife just got her OW. I have always borrowed or rented in the past, am looking to get us each a dive computer for recreational diving. And I have a handful of questions that are harder to find answers to online.

Things that I think are of value to us: •conservative algorithms,
•good backlight for reading the screen,
•Alarms that are audible but preferably not excessively sensitive,
•bottom depth timer,
•deco stop timer.

•We’ve looked at the Cressi Leonardo, Mares Puck Pro, and Suunto Zoop Novo. What are your thoughts on the comparison between these?
•Would you recommend carrying the same or different brand dive computer from your dive buddy? I see Pro’s and Cons to each.
•Any advice/input, or other recommendations?

My wife and I have been diving for right at a year now. I got both of us the Leonardo. I chose this because of the cost. It does everything we need. I don’t think it’s too conservative. But I’m probably not experienced enough to know any better. I don’t think it has a backlight. At least we’ve never needed it. Only dive during the day time so far. Never had an issue seeing it. Even in about 10 ft of viz. The alarm for raising in depth is pretty sensitive, but we got used to it. Actually probably helps keep us on our toes. Bottom depth and deco timers are both logged. I would highly recommend both people having the same computer. Especially if one of you is more tech savvy than the other. I help my wife with reviewing the dive records. There’s only a couple of buttons but they do several different functions. It’s hard enough for the two of us to remember them together. I couldn’t imagine having to memorize one for me and one for her. Not to mention, they’re operating in the same algorithms, so our results and times match closely. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm a SCUBA instructor and at my store, we all use Suunto EON Core with a Tank Pod. While not in your price range, I would definitely recommend the Suunto family both for the quality and service. The Zoop is a very good entry level computer. I also recommend buying locally which gives you the extra layer of support.

Dont go cheap!! Its a life safety product mine lasted over 10 years and hundreds of dives!! Have it serviced every year!!

Back