Plywood Bottom Build

I have a friend that made a 300 gallon plus tank made completely out of plywood except the front glass. It has held water for nearly 5 years with no leaks.

FF337;951450 wrote: I have a friend that made a 300 gallon plus tank made completely out of plywood except the front glass. It has held water for nearly 5 years with no leaks.

I've seen it done and documented on other websites. Aesthetically, I would not like not being able to see through the sides of the tank. Maybe an in wall type installation. Again, I would not trust my skills to something that could do so much damage if it failed.

The issue I came across when researching this is the coatings used to seal the tank. Salt water is more corrosive than fresh water, and it seams that the coatings deteriorate over time. It may work well for fresh water setups, but I am not going to risk losing what could be $$$ in corals and livestock as well as serious damage to my home just to try something different and possibly save a bit of money.

What ever happened to the build that dude was doing that was a plywood tank with the round hole in the front that was a glass table top:eek: drop the anvil on it for stress test bla bla bla. I haven't seen that around in awhile. It was quite entertaining:up:

Back