Plywood Bottom Build

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Alright, so I was watching "King of DIY" on YouTube once again, and I have decided that I want to give a plywood bottom tank a try. I will be using the front, back, and side panels from the 150 that I tore apart. The panes measure 54" w x 25-1/2" h x 1/2" thick and the sides measure 23" w x 25-1/2" h x 1/2" thick, therefore the display will measure 54" long x 24" wide x 25-1/2" tall. I am thinking that it will be used as a room divider of sorts so that you can see in from front, back, and one end (like the one in the attached pic).

I was previously planning on scrapping the tank due to the cost I was going to be looking at for a replacement bottom (1/2" thick glass is $$$, and most shops do not guarantee the preciseness of the final dimensions), but after seeing Joey Mullen put together that 540 gallon stingray tank, I was inspired to give it another go. Here is a link to one of the videos from his video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2beOiIgBvUM">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2beOiIgBvUM</a>.

Now, while he is a little unconventional, and there has been some discussion on here about his husbandry, etc, etc.... I do think that this is do able. I just wanted to throw this out for you all to munch on and see if anyone would like to give me their thoughts.

When comparing the cost between glass and plywood, take into account what you have at risk: flooring, furniture, etc. should there be a failure.

I agree that it is out of the norm, and risky. While the cost is a consideration, in reality it may come pretty close to the same cost when you account for all of the materials (i.e. wood, screws, pond armor epoxy, body filler, etc...) Benefits it provides: 1. I can get a very precise fit. 2. Won't break if there is a rock fall. 3. Easy to drill and modify, etc...

Apparently there are manufacturers that are already doing this for larger systems. Some use a combination of PVC with Plywood, some just use PVC sheeting. If I do proceed with it, you can bet that I will be having a colleague run some load and stress calculations on it.

Acroholic;950763 wrote: You, Sir, are a much braver man than I am!

Yep....I would rank this up there with being the first of the group to go bungee jumping.

ghbrewer;950758 wrote: I agree that it is out of the norm, and risky. While the cost is a consideration, in reality it may come pretty close to the same cost when you account for all of the materials (i.e. wood, screws, pond armor epoxy, body filler, etc...) Benefits it provides: 1. I can get a very precise fit. 2. Won't break if there is a rock fall. 3. Easy to drill and modify, etc...

Apparently there are manufacturers that are already doing this for larger systems. Some use a combination of PVC with Plywood, some just use PVC sheeting. If I do proceed with it, you can bet that I will be having a colleague run some load and stress calculations on it.

"In reality it may come pretty close to the same cost"......so why are you using plywood?

RyanSG1986;950767 wrote: "In reality it may come pretty close to the same cost"......so why are you using plywood?

I don't know....I guess B/C it intrigues me and I like to screw around with stuff.

ghbrewer;950758 wrote: I agree that it is out of the norm, and risky. While the cost is a consideration, in reality it may come pretty close to the same cost when you account for all of the materials (i.e. wood, screws, pond armor epoxy, body filler, etc...) Benefits it provides: 1. I can get a very precise fit. 2. Won't break if there is a rock fall. 3. Easy to drill and modify, etc...

I've never seen any company do that on the inside of a tank. It's common to use ply to protect the bottom, but that's mostly for shipping and handling purposes.

I'm sure you will be, but if you do proceed, please be careful!

Maybe try a small tank first to get your techniques down. Then, if you feel confident enough, try it on a large scale. I would not try it myself under any circumstances, but I understand the need to DIY.

I would do it. I say go for it. I watched that video a while back. I was looking at doing a big 800 or 1000 gallon plywood tank for cichlids with one large viewing glass on front and decided I did not know how long I was wanting to be at that house and decided not to. Good luck with the build.

acroholic;950791 wrote: maybe try a small tank first to get your techniques down. Then, if you feel confident enough, try it on a large scale. I would not try it myself under any circumstances, but i understand the need to diy.

+1

Well, I have spoke to few different individuals about this, and it seems that the pond armor epoxy is not as great as it seems. It seems to have a reputation of breaking down after about a year. While there are other marine epoxies on the market that might work, I don't think I will be risking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I thought most plywood tank builders coated the wooden sections of their tanks with fiberglass, then coated them with epoxy?

I was planning on coating it in fiberglass then epoxy, even though the guy in the video only used fiberglass on the seams. I am not going to experiment with this just yet, might later on a smaller tank as suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

i would pass on that i say spend the extra cash and get something thats safe and that your happy with.

Never heard of any manufacturers using plywood. PVC bottoms are definitely around.

Back