PLease Help, I am out of ideas

bdesper311

Market
Reaction score
so after spending the entire weekend and my day off yesterday plumbing my new tank, I still have a steady stream of water coming from the bulkhead. I have been to Lowes five times in the last three days and have literally bought every sealent they sell. I have bought roughtly $2000 dollars in equipment for this tank and it is useless if I can get the plumbing right. I live in Milledgeville now so is there anyone who lives close that I can pay to come help me get this thing set up. It can be this weekend if that works easier. This is my first tank that I have had to plumb so I am probably doing something simple. I will pay for gas..lunch...dinner...beer...whatever to get this thing done. I just moved several weeks ago so I do not know anyone here into reefing. Please help! Other advise would be greatly appriciated.:1zhelp::bash2:

A properly installed bulkhead should not need any kind of sealant.

How are you installing it? The gasket should be on the wet side, on the "bolt" side, and the nut should be on the dry side, underneath, and it should be hand-tight - very snug but over-torquing can crack the fitting (or the glass!).

Check to make sure the bulkhead isn't cracked. You may need to replace the bulkhead, especially if it's gunked up with sealant and still leaking. Also make sure that the glass is clean and dry - no debris between the gasket and the glass.

HTH

Jenn

That is what I thought, that is why I cannot figure out why this is leaking. It is installed the way you said, but after it leaking a few times, i put some plumbers putty, then next time aquamend, then next time something else, so yea, looks like im gonna need a new bulk head as well because it is pretty messy now....

As Jenn states, it's likely the sealant that is actually causing the leak. Counterintuitive, I know. The sealant will not let the gasket or nut seat well, as in flush with the tank. Try as she suggests and let us know if this fixes the leak.

They don't,

I tried em all - LFS is your only option besides etailers...

Also make sure that both surfaces - esp. the gasket side - is free of any sand or other debris. Otherwise, the gasket will not be able to seat correctly.

well looks like I am going to have to get a new bulkhead before I can try this again. this is so frustrating, i have had two other nano tank for several years with no problems ever... spend the money for a big boy tank and have to deal with this on top of work and grad school...such is life, thanks for the help everyone!

Just curious, does anyone know if there are people from milledgeville on here?

no nothing is pulling it, the tank is drilled on the bottom so both above and below the bulkhead is straight.

Can you take a picture? I have always used silicon sealant with my bulkheads. Doesn't matter new or used bulkheads. Never have a leak since I started doing it. Make sure you put a lot and when tightened, don't over exert it. Let the silicon do its work. Even with oversize holes, as long as the washers on the bulkhead extends beyond the opening it will seal.

What size tank is this? I'm wondering if you happen to need Schedule 80 bulkheads instead of Schedule 40. Unless it's a large and/or expensive tank, it's not likely, but it would explain some things...

Do you know for sure if the bulkheads you have for the tank are the correct size?

I would suggest uninstalling, and reinstalling the bulkhead. A small wrinkle in the gasket will cause this, and will need to be "unwrinkled". Loading selants on top of it is putting a bandage on top of bandage. It will come back to haunt you at some point. Get the bulkhead working properly as it should.

Everyone pretty much covered it... just to restate that the gasket DOES NOT go next to the nut, it goes on the other part of the bulkhead. I use a bit of silicone on both sides of the gasket. You need to be careful not to over tighten the nut. I hand tighten it then turn the nut another 1/4 turn or so.

Also, check the edge of the hole in the glass for chips. I had a few chips that reached almost to the edge of the gasket. If you have a few larger ones, that could be your leak...

What size bulkheads do you need? Club members might have some you can borrow...

im not sure and I will not get home till later tonight... I will have to see what I need, i dont remember the size off the top of my head.

im a little closer. maybe this weekend if i dont have to work i can try come up . i think you about an hour and a half from me. ill tell you this friday i got two bulkheads but dont now if they are what you need.

opps is that milledgeville next to macon or hinsville lol. if hinesvill might be a streach he he. but we will see.

Back