Planning a 75g FOWLR Saltwater Set-Up + a 54g Freshwater Set-Up: Help!

crazyfins

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I currently have a 54g bowfront corner glass Aqueon tank for my saltwater fish. I've purchased a 75g rectangular glass Aqueon tank + stand (48" x 18" x 21"). I'm moving in the middle of August and plan to upgrade my saltwater set-up to the 75g tank and convert my 54g tank to a freshwater set-up. (I've just broken down my 36g and 20g freshwater tanks to sell. I already sold my fish.)

Regarding my saltwater tank, I have an ESHOPPS RS-75 sump and a 2.5g HOB CPR Aquatic Aquafuge 2 refugium. I currently have about 50lbs of live rock in my tank. I have another 10-15lbs of dry rock (from a reputable aquarium rock source... processed properly... already added some of this to my tank months ago) in a box that I can still use. I currently have a couple of corals, but I'll be selling them to my local fish store in favor of a FOWLR set-up going forward. (Honestly, corals are just too much work at this point for the minimal enjoyment that I get from having them, ha.)

I currently have one yellow watchman goby, one strawberry dottyback, one yellow coris wrasse, and two true percula clownfish in my 54g tank. They all get along really great, but I'm okay with trading them in for a different set-up if necessary. I also currently have an urchin, two starfish, and an assortment of snails and crabs.

I have a couple of questions for my favorite fish community:

(1) What saltwater fish would you recommend for my 75g saltwater tank? (Dimensions: 48" x 18" x 21") I really love jawfish, gobies, blennies, and schooling fish (e.g., anthias)... but I also think it'd be awesome to go in the direction of a more aggressive tank with fewer fish... eel, angelfish, possibly a triggerfish (if there's one small enough). The really personable puffers are also pretty cool. Let me know what you think. My main goal with fish is always personality. I'm willing to sacrifice the number of fish in the name of big personalities (with the understanding that big personalities are usually territorial and aggressive).

(2) If I decide to go with a non-invertebrate-safe environment in my saltwater tank, then what sort of cleaning, additional filtration, etc. do you recommend to keep up with maintenance?

(3) How many pounds of rock do you recommend for a 75g saltwater tank? I know traditionalists say 1 lb per gal, but I know not everyone agrees with that.

(4) How deep of a sand bed would you suggest for my saltwater tank? I've traditionally had ~1.5".

(5) Is there any other equipment that you'd recommend for my 75g saltwater tank? Specifically, what kind of lighting does a FOWLR tank need? I currently have a Marquis Dual-Lamp T5HO light on my 54g saltwater tank set-up. My 75g tank comes with a basic LED light.

(6) Once I move my saltwater fish to the 75g tank, I plan on turning my 54g tank into a freshwater environment. I'd love to have one or two fish with a lot of personality. It's my dream to have an Oscar, but I know they really need a 75g tank to thrive. What freshwater species with personality would you recommend for a 54g bowfront corner tank set-up?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice! I can't wait to hear what you all think!

Hi everyone! I posted this in the Large Tanks forum earlier today, but it seems people don't post there often, and I haven't got much traction... so I decided to post again here. (I wish I knew how to delete the other post in Large Tanks! Let me know if you know how to do that.)

I currently have a 54g bowfront corner glass Aqueon tank for my saltwater fish. I've purchased a 75g rectangular glass Aqueon tank + stand (48" x 18" x 21"). I'm moving in the middle of August and plan to upgrade my saltwater set-up to the 75g tank and convert my 54g tank to a freshwater set-up. (I've just broken down my 36g and 20g freshwater tanks to sell. I already sold my fish.)

Regarding my saltwater tank, I have an ESHOPPS RS-75 sump and a 2.5g HOB CPR Aquatic Aquafuge 2 refugium. I currently have about 50lbs of live rock in my tank. I have another 10-15lbs of dry rock (from a reputable aquarium rock source... processed properly... already added some of this to my tank months ago) in a box that I can still use. I currently have a couple of corals, but I'll be selling them to my local fish store in favor of a FOWLR set-up going forward. (Honestly, corals are just too much work at this point for the minimal enjoyment that I get from having them, ha.)

I currently have one yellow watchman goby, one strawberry dottyback, one yellow coris wrasse, and two true percula clownfish in my 54g tank. They all get along really great, but I'm okay with trading them in for a different set-up if necessary. I also currently have an urchin, two starfish, and an assortment of snails and crabs.

I have a couple of questions for my favorite fish community:

(1) What saltwater fish would you recommend for my 75g saltwater tank? (Dimensions: 48" x 18" x 21") I really love jawfish, gobies, blennies, and schooling fish (e.g., anthias)... but I also think it'd be awesome to go in the direction of a more aggressive tank with fewer fish... eel, angelfish, possibly a triggerfish (if there's one small enough). The really personable puffers are also pretty cool. Let me know what you think. My main goal with fish is always personality. I'm willing to sacrifice the number of fish in the name of big personalities (with the understanding that big personalities are usually territorial and aggressive).

(2) If I decide to go with a non-invertebrate-safe environment in my saltwater tank, then what sort of cleaning, additional filtration, etc. do you recommend to keep up with maintenance?

(3) How many pounds of rock do you recommend for a 75g saltwater tank? I know traditionalists say 1 lb per gal, but I know not everyone agrees with that.

(4) How deep of a sand bed would you suggest for my saltwater tank? I've traditionally had ~1.5".

(5) Is there any other equipment that you'd recommend for my 75g saltwater tank? Specifically, what kind of lighting does a FOWLR tank need? I currently have a Marquis Dual-Lamp T5HO light on my 54g saltwater tank set-up. My 75g tank comes with a basic LED light.

(6) Once I move my saltwater fish to the 75g tank, I plan on turning my 54g tank into a freshwater environment. I'd love to have one or two fish with a lot of personality. It's my dream to have an Oscar, but I know they really need a 75g tank to thrive. What freshwater species with personality would you recommend for a 54g bowfront corner tank set-up?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice! I can't wait to hear what you all think!

WHAT I CURRENTLY HAVE:
Strawberry Dottyback
True Percula Clownfish x 2
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby

OTHER FISH THAT SPARK MY INTEREST:
Bartlett's Anthias
Blue-Spotted Jawfish
Dogface Puffer
Fathead Sunburst Anthers
Flame Angelfish
Flame Hawkfish
Humu Humu / Picasso Triggerfish
Longnose Hawkfish
Midas Blenny
Niger Triggerfish
One Spot Foxface
Pearlscale Butterflyfish
Porcupine Puffer
Potter's Angelfish
Snowflake Eel
Tribal Blenny
Web Burrfish (Puffer)
Yellow-Headed Pearly Jawfish
Yellow Tang
Zebra Moray Eel

Obviously, I can't have all of these fish (plus some get too big for a 75g tank), but I wanted to give you an idea of what seems appealing. I'm sure this isn't everything, but it's a good start.

(1) The more aggressive fish you're talking about, IMO, are going to be tough to fit in a 75g. If you go dwarf angels, you could do a pair. I'd skip on a trigger, they would be better suited in a 125g, 6ft, tank. You could do a smaller Toby buffer.

(2) You still don't want to skimp on filtration. A quality skimmer if going to be the biggest investment on a FOWLR tank. That along with regular water changes/consistent parameters is going to go a long way.

(3) I'd personally plan my livestock first then use however much rock you want to create an aquascape that you desire/fits the needs of your fish.

(4) If you go with any wrasses that need sand, 1.5" is plenty. If you're not, I'd go bare bottom. It'll be easier to clean any crud out of the tank.

(5) Lighting is your preference. I've read on some forums that fish need a specific spectrum of light, not sure how true that is. I'd go with some LEDs, you can get them cheap, they run cool, and you won't be replacing bulbs. Two member-modified LEDs would work perfectly.

(6) No oscars in a 54g, IMO even a 75g is too small for them. I miss my freshwater tanks and if it were me, I'd go planted and a group of apistogrammas with a pair of nice angels. If you want cichlids a pair of firemouths would be cool or some Africans.

I know you've suggested to skip out on the triggerfish and bigger puffers, but I've left them on my list as an idea of the types of fish that I like. I'm also a big fan of smaller fish that are busy doing stuff. What kinds of smaller fish would you recommend? Even if they're typically reef fish, I still don't plan on doing any corals. I just think they're cool fish to have. (Jawfish are particularly my favorite!)

WHAT I CURRENTLY HAVE:
Strawberry Dottyback
True Percula Clownfish x 2
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby

OTHER FISH THAT SPARK MY INTEREST:
Bartlett's Anthias
Blue-Spotted Jawfish
Dogface Puffer
Fathead Sunburst Anthers
Flame Angelfish
Flame Hawkfish
Humu Humu / Picasso Triggerfish
Longnose Hawkfish
Midas Blenny
Niger Triggerfish
One Spot Foxface
Pearlscale Butterflyfish
Porcupine Puffer
Potter's Angelfish
Snowflake Eel
Tribal Blenny
Web Burrfish (Puffer)
Yellow-Headed Pearly Jawfish
Yellow Tang
Zebra Moray Eel

Obviously, I can't have all of these fish (plus some get too big for a 75g tank), but I wanted to give you an idea of what seems appealing. I'm sure this isn't everything, but it's a good start.

I really love my yellow coris wrasse, and it sleeps in the sand, so I definitely need some kind of sand bed, like you said.

If you could give me some feedback on some smaller fish for my 75g, I'd really appreciate it!

Also, I forgot all about African cichlids! I'm definitely interested in doing an African cichlid community in my 54g. How many / which species would you recommend? I know they get to be a fair size full-grown and are extremely aggressive / territorial. I already own a huge set of stone rock caves meant to break up territorial aggression with cichlids.

Thanks again!

Okay! I've done several hours of research on filtering a 75g saltwater tank. Based on all that I've read, I'm working on buying some new equipment! Before I buy anything, here's my list:

- ESHOPPS R-200 Sump/Refugium, 30" x 14" x 16" (as compared to my current ESHOPPS RS-75)
- ESHOPPS PF-1000 Overflow Box (as compared to my current ESHOPPS PF-300)
- ESHOPPS 4' Flexible Hose x 2
- Jabao DCT-6000 Water Pump (as compared to my current Sicce Syncra 2.0)
- Reef Octopus 210-gallon-rated Protein Skimmer (as compared to my Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001, which broke a while back and I no longer use... garbage piece of equipment recommended by a LFS)
- Finnex FugeRay Aquarium 10" LED Light plus Moonlights (as compared to the light that came with the 2.5g HOB CPR Aquatic Aquafuge 2 refugium that I currently have)

Thoughts?

Of note, I already ordered the R-200 Sump/Refugium because I could get a used like new one for $170, as compared to the usual $240+ price tag. It's fulfilled by Amazon, so I shouldn't have any trouble returning it if it's defective or I don't need it.

As for powerheads/flow, what do you guys recommend for a 75g tank? I don't plan on having any corals.

Thanks again!

*Jebao DCT-6000 Water Pump

My computer's auto-correct feature is really getting the best of me with some of these words! Ha!

Back