Parasite or infection?

saltwaterwannabe

Market
Reaction score
I have had a blonde naso in qt for about a month now. It developed what looked like short white worms on it’s forehead area. A day later I saw black spots near the base and assumed it was black I had-worms. I had finished the copper treatment for an ich outbreak, so I did a big water change then treated with prazipro. I treated with prazipro when I first introduced it to the tank, so I am guessing any worms, flukes, and similar parasites are no longer present. Well, today there is a gaping hole in his scales and skin where I thought the black ick was.

I took pics of the white wormlike stuff and what it looks like now. I should have taken a set of pics with the black spots.

I’ve never seen this before, any ideas?
FCED76F6-905D-4776-B7E3-BE299C973904.jpeg
FCED76F6-905D-4776-B7E3-BE299C973904.jpegB84490B5-DCFA-40BC-8E69-AB00AC8D2AC4.jpeg462EE984-976B-40D5-A37E-26F544790D8A.jpegThe last one was before treating with prazipro after copper.

Are you sure he’s not scraping his head open at night where ever he sleeps?
I would also post on Humblefish

I did two 25/80 gallon QT water changes, dosed prazipro, then fed and dosed sulfaplex with focus 6 hours later. Gonna see if the stringy wormlike stuff dies off.

I included sulfaplex since there is now an infection developing under the skin that’s been eaten, scraped, poisoned, or other issue and I am still not 100% sure what the culprit is. I’m leaning towards black ich that developed to an infection.

Either way, I think the skin fell away dead. If that’s the case, this treatment should kill just about whatever can be left untreated to date-I hope. (Prior prazipro then copper before reintroducing prazipro and sulfaplex). I know this is a lot of meds over the course of a long QT, but I’ve used this combination in the past with success, just have to make sure the meds are introduced at different times. I can’t say I would advise others to use this combo, but it’s what worked for me in the past. Just hoping I can save the naso.

any thoughts on this?

It took about a week, but the dead skin area went deeper and that’s all folks. Just call me a serial blonde naso killer. Gonna stay away from them for a while. Maybe again in a few years.

Back