Pairing up Yellow-headed Jawfish

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
About a year ago, I picked up what I thought was a pair of Yellow-headed Jawfish at one of our LFS. For about a month they stayed together in their burrow but after that the larger one seemed to evict the smaller one. Now they inhabit separate burrows on different sides of the 57G tank. Both fish are fat and healthy but I am beginning to suspect that they may not be a pair:doh:

Now I am trying to decide if i can try to introduce a third fish to the tank to see if I can get one to pair up with the existing fish I have in the tank. From what I researched, it's not unusual for jawfish to inhabit separate burrows and only get together to do the deed. But I haven't seen any indication of that happening yet, nor have I seen any eggs. I would think that after a year together that if this were a pair, I would have seen some indication. Any one have any luck trying to pair up jawfish and get them spawning? Trying to decide what to do next. thanks!
Bob Z

I have read to have multiple jawfish in a tank and let them pair themselves up. I have also read that they can be in seperate holes and still be paired up, sometimes taking several months to mate. Maybe introduce 2 more? Just throwing it out there.

Hi Glenn, I think my setup could support one or two more fish. I may go ahead an try to introduce another one in to the system and see if they accept. I was thinking, like you, that even those these two do not co-habitat that they may still be a pair but no sign of any eggs over the past year.

It took several months but the jawfish did eventually work things out and pair up. I had several egg clutches but sadly the male figured out how to get out of the screen covering and found him on the floor under the tank when I came home last week. Bummer... I am in the process of moving tanks now so will be awhile before I can start over with another pair.

You have to find the Male. The dose the aquarium with a little vodka and get a copy of Big-uns from Al Bundy. Add some luther vandross music and that's it.

Back