noob question defogging dive mask

wmboots;669898 wrote: if you don't want to spit in your mask you can mix a 50/50 solution of baby shampoo and water, put it in a small spray bottle and spray your mask before your dive, don't rinse it out just spray and leave it alone. Dive shops hated me teaching my students this, defogger is one of the highest profit margin products in the store. By the way a small 2 or 3 ounce spray bottle will last you a couple of years of heavy frequent diving

Nice Bill have never heard of that one and a great way to save some $$!

wmboots;669898 wrote: if you don't want to spit in your mask you can mix a 50/50 solution of baby shampoo and water, put it in a small spray bottle and spray your mask before your dive, don't rinse it out just spray and leave it alone. Dive shops hated me teaching my students this, defogger is one of the highest profit margin products in the store. By the way a small 2 or 3 ounce spray bottle will last you a couple of years of heavy frequent diving

Is it the highest profit margin because it is a 50/50 mix of rainforest native spit and water?

You guys are all wrong..Is it a new mask? Or old one over a few years old? Then grab a can of Comet or Ajax...sprinkle on the glass inside the mask...add a little water..rub it into the glass until you get a squeaking sound rinse.. and do it again.... after that you need to acclimate your mask to the environment your going to dive..If you jet put it on,,,you will fog, just like your car windshield.... in a pinch toothapste will work as well...after that you can buy some defogger at any dive shop..spit does nothing.

please don't use ajax or comet on your poly bicarbonate lenses it will ruin them, if your not sure if you have poly bicarbonate lenses please check with the dive shop or do a little google work. To save you some work if you have Sea Vision masks you have bicarbonate lenses if your using mares, oceanic, cressi there is a chance you have bicarbonate lenses. As long as you know you have glass lenses Todd is quite correct with the his advice I will add I prefer toothpaste just in case I have a plastic base lense. But stick with the baby shampoo and water mix it will save some $

Todd_Washowich;672851 wrote: You guys are all wrong..Is it a new mask? Or old one over a few years old? Then grab a can of Comet or Ajax...sprinkle on the glass inside the mask...add a little water..rub it into the glass until you get a squeaking sound rinse.. and do it again.... after that you need to acclimate your mask to the environment your going to dive..If you jet put it on,,,you will fog, just like your car windshield.... in a pinch toothapste will work as well...after that you can buy some defogger at any dive shop..spit does nothing.

Interesting approach....many people say spit works for them, no one except you think ajax will work but we are all wrong?

Why not jut use some sand paper? Ajax is an abrasive and I would think twice before using it on a dive mask. Do we need to drip acclimate or just float the mask?

Just so you know I have my PADI open water, advanced open water, underwater hunting and rescue diver certifications. I worked at Sport Chalet in Southern California, in the dive shop, and no one ever suggest using Ajax or acclimating the mask. Spit always worked for me and everyone I have ever gone diving with.

Edit: http://www.scuba-diving-smiles.com/scuba-dive-mask.html

http://www.scubaguru.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:how-to-defog-a-diving-mask&catid=41:eek:pen-water&Itemid=54

http://www.thescubaguide.com/gear/masks/maintaining-your-mask.aspx

izoid;672859 wrote: Interesting approach....many people say spit works for them, no one except you think ajax will work but we are all wrong?

Why not jut use some sand paper? Ajax is an abrasive and I would think twice before using it on a dive mask. Do we need to drip acclimate or just float the mask?

Just so you know I have my PADI open water, advanced open water, underwater hunting and rescue diver certifications. I worked at Sport Chalet in Southern California, in the dive shop, and no one ever suggest using Ajax or acclimating the mask. Spit always worked for me and everyone I have ever gone diving with.

You DON'T use the word PADI around Todd he is part of the DIVE GODS over at NAUI. Todd is a great guy but he don't think us PADI guys know our &^*)( from a whole in the ground :)
As for spouting off your credentials those won't mean a hill of beans to Todd because your PADI :):):)

I only site my credentials to show that I have some experience in the diving realm. I am certainly not trying to brag.

It is funny....there was a time when the certification thing was the other way around, NAUI was the ugly stepchild.

I assume you weren't catching the jest and humor in my response but naui has always looked down on padi but when your the big dog on the block your always having pot shots taken at you. Padi certifies more divers than all other agencies combined so were the big dog on the block with Naui close enough to sniff our off gassing and they don't like the smell :):):):)

Edit: speaking of off gassing you posted some great shots from bonaire on your FB page Todd

I get it....in So. Cal PADI was the certification that you would look for and then it changed and it seems that NAUI is the new "in thing". Not sure why but it is what it is. Some prefer blondes....some prefer NAUI. :0

bruce 1;669620 wrote: Try spitting in it. Then rub the spit around in it. When I was a volunteer fire fighter that is what we did on our B.A mask. I do not know if that will work for diving or not.

Like I like to say the greener the cleaner. Get a nice soild green spit in there rub it in and then rinse. If its a new mask you can always use something like sea drops and so on. Also if new use some tooth paste to get that first layer of crud off it then use sea drops and it will take time for it to wear in but once its fixed its awesome! I love diving :thumbs:

Funny Bill..I have used it for all 4 masks..it works and does nothing..Ajax folks...if you don't want to do it...don't..

I use dilluted baby shampoo myself. Spitting in your mask can lead to eye infections, which I generally try and avoid. Have people been doing it since the beginning of time? Yes...but it's just another avoidable hazard, IMO. As for toothpaste, I've tried it with little success. However, I used to put a bit of it in my reg and it made my mouth water. Bye bye dry mouth! :) Now my reg keeps does that job!

texhorns98;673089 wrote: I use dilluted baby shampoo myself. Spitting in your mask can lead to eye infections, which I generally try and avoid. Have people been doing it since the beginning of time? Yes...but it's just another avoidable hazard, IMO. As for toothpaste, I've tried it with little success. However, I used to put a bit of it in my reg and it made my mouth water. Bye bye dry mouth! :) Now my reg keeps does that job!

been using dilluted baby shampoo for over 10 years and to me is the best way to go.
Todd swears by ajax which works for him but I have grave concerns of scratching poly carbonate lenses but as I stated if I knew I had glass lenses I see the value in Todd's idea.
In any case the person who posted the original thread has alot of good input and ideas to work with (but please make sure your lenses are glass before putting an abrasive on them)

Edit:
Todd_Washowich;673037 said:
Funny Bill..I have used it for all 4 masks..it works and does nothing..Ajax folks...if you don't want to do it...don't..[/QUO

? you got me on your comment

Comet ..... Use it, love it, be one with it......disclaimer, use plenty of water...dah, of course.

a>

Todd I have to say that in all my years of diving, working in dive shops and teaching you are the first person I have heard recommend using an abrasive such as ajax or comment and has said they have used them succesfully.
It has always been a no no to use abrasives in a mask but if your saying you have used them without issues I will take your word on it. But I still say I won't let abrasives any where near my Sea Vision masks with their poly bicarbonate lenses as they will scratch fairly easily. I do have a couple old Dacor masks I just may give it a try on

I have 4 masks......2 Scuba Pro Orbits..and 2 Atomic Frame-less...My daughter also has 2.... Atomics I believe...It does not scratch anything..it takes that film off the glass on new masks..and I scum build up on the glass after many uses... trust me... do it, hell I will let you do it to my masks....or I will take pictures of me doing it of mine.. they need it done anyway....

if your a wuss..try this.

a>

if you are talking about soft scrub versions of the cleansers then I concur and have seen this used on glass lense masks. I thought you were talking about taking the original ajax and comet in powder form with all the abrasive particles in them.

lots of comments over a foggy mask and rob is already back. hope it all worked out for you rob!!!

Back