noob question defogging dive mask

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
Alright,
I am having the hardest time keeping my mask de-fogged.
It gets foggy within 3minutes of diving, any clues as to how avoid that?
In cold water dives we used double glass masks and it helped, can't believe those are needed in FL...

Try spitting in it. Then rub the spit around in it. When I was a volunteer fire fighter that is what we did on our B.A mask. I do not know if that will work for diving or not.

Then wash out or leave just spit on?
Heard of that before - but couldn't make it work.

Also heard to use a lighter to heat the glass lenses before, couldn't make that work and heard somewhere to use soap?!

I think there is a product you can buy that you put on them, but I always just spit in it, wipe it around really well, dunk the mask just to get the excess out and you're good to go.

Sometimes, I'd leave a little water in the mask so when you look down it coats the inside and keeps it clean.

Bud's right. Start off with spit and leave a small amount of water. Swish when it fogs.

What kind of mask are you using? I always just rub some spit all over it and put it on.

Soapy water then rinse

Baby oil then rinse

Barely score the inside of the mask with a lighter

Buy anti fog

All of the above work

I have always used spit Robb. I find it works best if applied while the glass is dry and rubbed on with the fingers until it 'squeeks'. You may then rinse the excess off before donning the mask.

Yes, diving can be a crude sport at times. Hope you have fun.

Yes spit does work to a degree.

Just try the baby oil zand diluted soap out...

It's. Cheap and easy.

We just got back from cozumel 4 hours who. We did 17 dives on a week and I uswd baby oil the entire trip

They make an antifog product that you can pick up at about any dive shop, spitting works too, both work better.

I lived in the Marshall Islands for 10 years and used to dive pretty regularly. Spit worked for me but also putting my face in the water to cool it off before putting the mask on seemed to help too.

johnr2604;669677 wrote: Yes, spit in it. Don't forget to pee in your wetsuit either LOL

Don't forget to run carbon to get rid of the yellow water.

i find that it works best to use spit...

if it fogs up again while you're diving.. just let some water in then clear your mask. (easy enough)

arborreef79;669774 wrote: I know it sounds crazy but growing up on the beach we used toothpaste. U have to wash it off but it leaves a film that helps to not fog the lense

Baby oil is exactly the same

Robb, If mask is new then I use toothpaste and rinse out as new mask have a film on the glass or that is what I was told. Then before each use spit or use a defogging agent from dive shop, rinse and I have never had an issue.

if you don't want to spit in your mask you can mix a 50/50 solution of baby shampoo and water, put it in a small spray bottle and spray your mask before your dive, don't rinse it out just spray and leave it alone. Dive shops hated me teaching my students this, defogger is one of the highest profit margin products in the store. By the way a small 2 or 3 ounce spray bottle will last you a couple of years of heavy frequent diving

Back