Never trusting a single test kit again

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
Before I get on with the agenda item I want to give a big shout out to @bhodges82 for his help last night with the test to confirm what’s happening in my tank. It’s always good to have a reefer who just lives down the street and willing to help especially in the middle of the thanksgiving night.

Toward the end of October I ran out of co2 in the tank for a week or so, so once the calrx was back online I tried to raise the alk and other parameters to what it was before. At this moment, I knew all of my parameters should be lower than expected and didn’t pay much attention to it other than slowly change my pH values in the carbon doser and kamoer peristaltic pump.

So for a month I have been struggling to raise the tank alk beyond 8dKH and my effluent was giving a reading of 13dKH via Hanna.

Today, on thanksgiving, I did another alk test using Hanna checker and the reading got even lower than before, 134ppm or 7.5dKH. So I took out my Red Sea and the new salifer alk tests. In both tests, I used more than the 1mL reagent as stated in the instruction. Therefore my tank alk should be north of 15dKH. Something is fishie here.

So I took my water to Bobby and lo and behold, my new alk reading, using the same water, is 300ppm!!!!! We verified using both his Hanna checker and salifer.

Today, right before the massive water change, I used the newly arrived Hanna reagent and tested water. The reading is the same as what I found out at Bobbys house.The old Hanna reagent is definitely the culprit and I have been chasing the wrong number for a month! I have lost some valuable corals in the process thinking that their demise is due to something else.

I don’t know what caused the issue with the Hanna reagent but the lesson learned here is definitely not to count on a single test kit for crucial parameter.

Attachments

• BA1BB329-E195-4280-804B-D78EF8D21F76.png
    BA1BB329-E195-4280-804B-D78EF8D21F76.png
    626.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 71E0F792-29B4-432D-B5BD-1446678FEFF9.jpeg
    71E0F792-29B4-432D-B5BD-1446678FEFF9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • FDA62604-98B1-4172-89A5-73131961022A.jpeg
    FDA62604-98B1-4172-89A5-73131961022A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I would vote for contamination also. I haven't seen that much of a difference from batch to batch with my Hanna Alkalinity reagent. I got a 0.5 difference with the last test from a bottle of reagent versus the same test immediately after with a new bottle, which I assumed might be related to contamination from residual RODI in the syringe tip after rinsing. I can't always wait for them to dry out. Sorry for your losses and glad you are on the road to recovery.

Not sure where the source could come from as I don’t rinse the syringe with rodi after use. I also use a separate syringe for the tank water sample....

Anyways, as Bobby said, he verified his Hanna result with another test kit very 4 times to ensure nothing has gone wrong.

That’s a bummer, but I’m glad you caught it!

I always use two brands of test kits to test Alk. It’s the only parameter I do this for, but it’s just so darn important. And in my tank log notebook, there are two columns for Alk results to reflect this.

Yeah agree.

I even floated the idea of getting a trident just as a redundant measure as well...we will see about that

Anyways, the alk is 14.4 last night and this morning it’s 13.4. Just a matter of time now. Don’t want to have the alk swing too much by doing another water change

Great news! From 16.7 dkH down to 13.4 dkH is a big change for so short a time. I would be very cautious and slow down a little; ive been in a similar situation before and found a few of the more sensitive corals dying when Alk is being corrected at a rate of 1.0 dkH per day (from a high of 13 dkH).

regardless, you’re going in the right direction!

I find that the Hannah Alk reagent becomes inaccurate after it has been opened for a while. Doesn't seem to matter what the expiration date is. If I have one that has been opened a while, I throw it out.

Back