Neptune WAV Pumps

urbanknight

Trustee
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
What you are about to read is not a bashing of Neptune's WAV pumps. It is me sharing with you my experiences with these pumps. I initially purchased a pair of WAVs from Neptune three years ago. I figured that they would be perfectly suited to run with my Apex system. They did in fact compliment my Apex and ran smoothly for 14 months. One morning during the 14th month, I went to feed the tank. Neither WAV pump was working. I checked and did trouble shooting of the pumps and 1Link. The one link was working because It also powers my DOS and it was on at the time. Finally giving up, I called Neptune. They told me that for unknown reasons, several of these pumps had quit working over time. Because I was two months outside the warranty period, they offered to sell me two new WAVS with a one year warranty for the price of one. That was acceptable and I took the deal.

Fast forward to two days ago. I go in to feed the tank and guess what? WAV pumps are dead! Again, after troubleshooting, I was unable to get them started. For giggles and grins, I Googled "WAV Pump Troubleshooting." I found a ton of messages on R2R talking about how their WAV pumps had died! These reports go back to 2017/18. There has obviously been nothing done differently to make it a better product. I telephoned Neptune and spoke with them about the failure of the second set of pumps just outside the warranty. The other thing that I spoke with them about was a WXM unit I sent in for warranty repair last month. I took it from the box the same day the WAV pumps failed and the module was missing two screws and did not work. They offered to again sell my two new WAVs for the price of one. They also wanted me to send the WXM unit back in. I refused both. I informed the tech that I would never have another WAV pump in any of my tanks and that I would repair the WXM module on my own.

I have been a user of the Neptune Apex unit for years. I have never had an issue with it. I use the Neptune DOS for dosing and for auto water changes. These pieces of equipment have never failed me over the years. So what I'm saying is that just because a big brand name is on a piece of equipment doesn't mean it is a quality product. I'd be willing to bet that the WAV pumps are not made by Neptune but a contractor somewhere. Maybe even China. Just food for thought and a reminder to do your research before a major purchase! Happy Reefing!

I had a somewhat similar experience. I also am a huge user and promoter of Neptune products. My system at home is running 4 tanks without issue. Probably 4 years ago I added 2 WAV pumps to my 58 frag tank and had no issues for ~13 months when then they both failed within a few days of each other. I was annoyed but honestly didn't think too much about it and just bought another pair. That pair lasted probably 6-8 months before they also failed.

I replaced them with Reef Octopus Pulse pumps which are controllable though the Apex with a 0-10V connection. Works great for the grow out tank. When I setup my 240 display tank I wanted something a bit fancier and got 4 MP40s.

Love Apex for everything else, I have tons of extra modules and accessories on my system, DOS, Trident, ATK, flow meters and more, I just don't trust the WAVs. Haven't tried the COR pumps though because of my experience with the WAVs.

@scuba steve I'm with you. What I didn't add to the story is the day after the WAV pumps went out, my Trident crapped out! No lights at all. Now that, I was concerned! After hearing my tale of woe, the tech said "We don't want our customers having multiple failures without us doing something. I will have a new Trident sent out to you today." Now, that's great customer service! FYI, the tech said that sometimes a kink in the used reagent drain line will cause a backup into the Trident and short out an electrical circuit.

Back