Nano seeing some uglies. Any suggestions?

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
My 4 month old 10 gallon is not looking good lately. I’m having an outbreak of sorts.

Parameters are all in check. I have removed my carbon and GFO to make sure I’m not creating a nutrient deficient tank. The only thing I do to this tank is a 30-40% water change over the course of a week. I usually split it into 2 separate changes.

2 weeks ago I had a bacterial bloom. I got rid of that with the green killing machine, but now as you can see, there’s a different issue.

Corals are mostly happy. I keep cleaning my gorgonians off every so often. Acans and zoas are feeding and open most of the time.

Attachments

• CF486397-4FB1-4356-A329-FC4AE021691D.jpeg
    CF486397-4FB1-4356-A329-FC4AE021691D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 148CF478-5412-4E66-AA7E-93086976EBD0.jpeg
    148CF478-5412-4E66-AA7E-93086976EBD0.jpeg
    989.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 56B2BFBB-3EAC-4406-A017-55DA20A30D41.jpeg
    56B2BFBB-3EAC-4406-A017-55DA20A30D41.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • A41C4518-9292-4862-BCBD-AE3260F71FC3.jpeg
    A41C4518-9292-4862-BCBD-AE3260F71FC3.jpeg
    955.8 KB · Views: 28
30% is a lot for a nano. You are stripping your nutrients from the system. Need to feed more and maybe add a fish for more poop.

I'll tone it down on the water changes a bit then. I do a 30% on my main display weekly but I guess I never had this issue because of all the heavy feeding I do.

My red graciliara has grown very fast. Do you think it might be a good idea to remove it for now?

I'll tone it down on the water changes a bit then. I do a 30% on my main display weekly but I guess I never had this issue because of all the heavy feeding I do.

My red graciliara has grown very fast. Do you think it might be a good idea to remove it for now?
Nano systems are more delicate due to the low volume of water, everything you do is drastic even if it's done in moderation.

I'm not sure if you need to remove graci at this point...

There are various things to try for dino treatment. Somethings work and others don't... a lot of that seems to depend on the particular strain you have in there. Dino-x works for some. Higher temps around 82 degrees have helped some. Blackouts always help for the short term.

Nano systems are more delicate due to the low volume of water, everything you do is drastic even if it's done in moderation.
Thanks. This is the smallest tank I've owned. Your advice is appreciated.

I'm not sure if you need to remove graci at this point...

There are various things to try for dino treatment. Somethings work and others don't... a lot of that seems to depend on the particular strain you have in there. Dino-x works for some. Higher temps around 82 degrees have helped some. Blackouts always help for the short term.
Thanks, I'll start with a blackout and see where it goes from there. I really need to add more livestock as the only animals are a few dwarf cerith snails.

Increase your nitrates with some dosing. Potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate both work for that.

2-3 days of black out won't hurt. i have done it a couple times in a sps dominant tank. i think there's talk of raising the tank temp to 82-83, it helps for some people as well.
I’ve heard about temp too. I’ve had them in other thanks but they eventually went away. It just took forever. I’ll go ahead and raise my temp a bit just as an added precaution. Thanks

I battled dinos for months. It sucks. I did two 3 day lights out with-in that period. I was running undetectable nutrients for a while and I eventually fed more and turn my skimmer way down to try and get the nutrients up. The thing that has kept it at bay and not seen anymore was a UV light. Do you still have it running?

I battled dinos for months. It sucks. I did two 3 day lights out with-in that period. I was running undetectable nutrients for a while and I eventually fed more and turn my skimmer way down to try and get the nutrients up. The thing that has kept it at bay and not seen anymore was a UV light. Do you still have it running?
I don’t but I can plug it back in. I don’t see any harm and maybe it’ll help. I’m going to cut my lighting back a bit as well.

I don’t but I can plug it back in. I don’t see any harm and maybe it’ll help. I’m going to cut my lighting back a bit as well.
If you dont want to do a full black out do what i did and just do a lights out. I just didnt have my lights turn on at all for three days and it helped along side the UV.

Back