Moving 25g AOI

Hunna

Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hello! So, over the next few days we will be moving. Nothing far, only about 12 minutes away. I’ve moved freshwater tanks before, although they were only 7.5-10 gallon tank. It was pretty straightforward for freshwater.

With this being my first time moving saltwater, I’m concerned about all of my coral surviving and how to go about moving everything. My plan is to have a bunch of empty 5 gallons jugs to drain my tank into and to keep and use at least 15g of original tank water to fill my tank back up after the move. I also plan on having 20g or so of fresh salt water to do a water change shortly after the move and things have time to settle down.

As for my corals/inverts/lawnmower blenny… the plan is to collect them all and put them in a 5 gallon bucket for the drive over and to get them back into my tank asap. My main concern is being able to actually catch my lawnmower blenny. Any tricks? As for the corals, I’m going to either be bagging them up individually or getting some egg crate cut and placed into the 5g bucket to hold all the corals still on frag plugs.

Is there anything else I should be doing to help ensure everyone survives the short drive? Any suggestions to make it go smoothly, or something in hindsight you wish you had done/used? Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

Easy to catch when 90% of the water is gone ;). That is the key with fish. Leave them in the tank as long as possible, corals will be fine, remember they ship from another country over here, sometimes days with a simple re-ox, same with some fish.

If you can, buy a battery operated pump and oxygen cube on the end, set you back $25 bucks on amazon. Gives you a peace of mind. toss the corals in the tank water in a 2nd 5 gallon bucket and lid from Lowes, they are now about $6.00 for bucket and lid.

That trip will be easy as pie, 12 miles, I have done state to state and never had issues and that included an overnight in a hotel

Use the same water you take out, put it back in the tank, add the heater and you should be good to go. With a 25 AIO you may consider doing 2-3 gallon water change to freshen up the water, make it a day before and toss a heater in it, so when you put it in the car its warm and will help bring the water back up to temp. Wish you were closer I would be happy to help, but you shouldn't need any help at all.

Back