looking for an underwater digital camera

bdesper311

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any local dive shops that rent out underwater digital cameras. I may start calling them, but wanted to check here first. I am leaving in two weeks to do some diving in Grand Cayman and am debating buying a cheap underwater camera, but wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge of a shop doing this? Thanks!

You can find some decent (5+ mega pixle) cameras with housings on ebay for under $200. If you dont need a small point and shoot camera I would say just rent it.

I would say call around the dive shops and see who has one. Definatly get something over 5mp though. and if they have an addon strobe for it your golden.

Thanks... do you have any places in mind that I could call... I got certified when I lived in Florida and have done all my stuff through them, but they are in Tallahassee and know that they dont rent them...

When I was looking for mine I just researched good cameras in the 8mp range, that had an underwater setting, and a underwater case available and then just hopped on ebay and ended up finding a package deal on the camera and housing.

Usual rule of thumb is, if you spend X on the camera, expect to spend X again on the housing, and X again on a strobe and you will have a decent setup.

But like I said, if you dont need another small camera, and your not using it but once a year, just find a place that has one to rent.

EnderG60;534678 wrote: When I was looking for mine I just researched good cameras in the 8mp range, that had an underwater setting, and a underwater case available and then just hopped on ebay and ended up finding a package deal on the camera and housing.

Usual rule of thumb is, if you spend X on the camera, expect to spend X again on the housing, and X again on a strobe and you will have a decent setup.

But like I said, if you dont need another small camera, and your not using it but once a year, just find a place that has one to rent.
That is because you bought the cheapest available!!!:lol2:

if your going to grand cayman check into renting a camera there, I believe if you do a search for Cathy Church she has her underwater photo school there and I believe she has rental equipment.

wmboots;535370 wrote: if your going to grand cayman check into renting a camera there, I believe if you do a search for Cathy Church she has her underwater photo school there and I believe she has rental equipment.

Thanks alot... I will check that out!

http://www.cathychurch.com/Rentals.html">http://www.cathychurch.com/Rentals.html</a>

here is the site I mentioned

I just bought the new olympus stylus tough....it's a point n shoot with macro settings...and it's water proof to 16 ft....I know you'd probably be diving a bit deeper than that....but for 180$ at Costco/SAMs.....not a bad deal....it's crush proof and shatter proof to an extent also...Plus it's 14mp...

Thanks all, I think I have decided to rent one when I get down there... that seems to be the best option!

Also just look at getting a case for your normal camera. I have a sony T-77 with a sony case thats good to 130ft. I need a better strobe, but if the lighting is correct it takes pretty good pictures in the built in underwater mode.

DSC04960.jpg
alt="" />
DSC04965.jpg
alt="" />
DSC04968.jpg
alt="" />
DSC05006.jpg
alt="" />
DSC05011.jpg
alt="" />

any destination dive shop will rent still cameras and video cameras..

if you are looking for a digital camera for yourself anyway.. get something nice and buy a NEW wp housing for it (never skimp on a housing, and never buy used unless you know the person)

jdmorgan1999;551571 wrote: Olympus is making some great waterproof cameras now. they are a little some what pricey but can withstand anything.

I have one. A Stylus Tough. I LOVE my camera. water proof to 10m 33ft. shock proof from a 6 ft drop. Only thing it really lacks in is night time or dusk shots. Underwater functions are brilliant and I never worry about beating it up. Real winner of a camera.

Back