Learned this lesson the hard way :(

tbub1221

Reaction score
:shout: I only told one person I did this because I was so embarrassed and aggravated with the situation.
I was doing the regular wc and cleanup a few week's back and made up a new sock of phosguard to toss in my media tray.
I then got busy preparing meat and grilling out with company and had a few cocktails.
Later I walked by and noticed it there so I tossed it rite in and went on with what I was doing.
Later when I thought about it , it was 2 late my tank was dusted with aluminum oxide .
Within hours I had a tankwide polyp retraction , I did a wc in desperation but it was to late.
I killed almost all my lps in the first 48 hours starting with the coral with the most exposed / fleshy polyps.
My lobo melted in the 1st 10-12 then the bubble coral Duncan frogspawn and hammer coral died then the lord acans after day 4-5 (i got my hopes up that they would make it.
Then my orange crush acan echinata lost its color when I saw it going I gave up hope. The orange crush echinatahad 24 mouths it was my center piece along with my orange n blue lobo and branching bubble coral.

Over the next week i watched my le zoa drags that I'd spent the last several weeks buying and trading for , killed red hornets rastas blow pops sunny d's and my single polyp of Darth maul zoa .. The list goes on.
My nems are all still alive but very pissed at me , moving around more than ever and staying drawn up 80% of the time.Also it seems the green and yellow zoas an palys were least affected , and ofcoarse GSP was closed up like everything but was the first to open back up, and made full recovery , so considering green is the color I have least of I don't have much left to look at.
I'm so sick over dealing with this all I just want the rest to finish dieing so I can start rebuilding from scratch.
Unfortunately there was never anything I could do except not make that mistake again.

So I'm in the market once again for some space filler pieces so if anyone is needing to make room please let me know what you have , I can't afford a rock covered in le coral just common items is what I need for filler pieces so my tank doesn't look so naked.

I'm also bummed because I have been holding and growing out some coral as a gift for another member wile they were getting there tank build together and although they will no doubt get over it I feel ****ty that I promised them some stuff and now have nothing but a lonely toadstool I bought 4 days ago.
I'm considering doing more softies leathers and things of the sort.
Watching my birds nest bleach along with my 7"x8" monti plate along with all the zoa's and lps has made me sick.
Thinking of how I lost 90% of my live stock (excluding fish they were all un affected) and it was my fault makes me feel sick.
It may have been far from impressiveby some standards but I was very proud of how it was coming together , it will take months for me to afford replacing the coral with starter frags again and then I get to hurry up and wait for them to grow up again.
Moral of the story , using GFO & Phosguard un rinsed is bad juju DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID

Tbub1221;901990 wrote: Moral of the story ,Phosguard unrinsed is bad juju DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID

WOW, sooo sorry for all your losses! (and by the way, GFO unrinsed is never good, and it does irriate corals.......but it never killed anything in my tank.....)

Sorry to hear about this man. I had something very similar happen to me about seven months ago, but it wasn't as widespread. I only lost a couple acans, a big acro colony, and a bunch of zoas. I have a tiny piece left of that purple monti sitting in my sand bed right now. ill go ahead and put it on the frag rack so it starts getting some color back, and if you want it, it's yours.

Sorry for your loss but yet another example of why to have a "hospital" tank available. You could've move pieces out and probably saved most of them.

I Have some Armor of God, Rastas, and green people eaters I could sell you. Give were talking 2-3 heads each, I don't have a large colony.

Hey guys I just wanted to say Thankyou all for the offers I'll be in contact with each of you.
It won't take much just to give me something to look at and fill the voids.
And the good part of this hobby is that in 8-10 months I'll be thinning coral again .
And the bright side is iv got a qt container almost full of coral skeletons that are usable as rubble for gluing zoas and anchoring macro starters an such.

Declanisadog;901997 wrote: Sorry to hear about this man. I had something very similar happen to me about seven months ago, but it wasn't as widespread. I only lost a couple acans, a big acro colony, and a bunch of zoas. I have a tiny piece left of that purple monti sitting in my sand bed right now. ill go ahead and put it on the frag rack so it starts getting some color back, and if you want it, it's yours.
It's bleached but I haven't given up just yet I'm going to leave it put and pray it comes back around , thanks for the offer I'll let you know one way or the other after a little more time watching for it to make a comeback.

porpoiseaquatics;901998 wrote: Sorry for your loss but yet another example of why to have a "hospital" tank available. You could've move pieces out and probably saved most of them.

I have a quarantine , I got it all set up after the broklynella earlier this year.
It didn't have water in it when it happened but they were moved over that night. It didn't seem to make a difference between the ones I moved and the ones I left.
The corals that were negatively effected burned and closed up and most just never opened back up.
The coral stayed in the qt for a week wile I did daily w/c until I jade changed out 200% of my water in 10G increment.
Maybe if I'd have realized it just when it happened but I was pre occupied by BBQ and Beer .
A few things weren't effected more than a little irritation I think because it was the pieces tucked in the rocks and it shielded them.
My return pump blows rite on my sand bed a.d across my frag rack so it dusted them all good.
Iv noticed that a few zoa's that closed up from the burn but are beginning to open up now , some with different colors than when I saw them last , I wonder if it scared them .
I have 3 flaming suns I was growing out , they are bright red skirt and black with yellow mouth now the yellow mouths are as red as the skirt ring . Also have some rings in a few Pandora play's that weren't there a few weeks back.

They say not to give up on LPS skeletons, I have plenty left over my my big top off accident. I just don't see them coming back. But if one did, it would be awesome. Especially if it was my scolly

Not rinsing the Phosguard caused all of this trouble? I have run Phosguard in my tank to help reduce phosphates and my corals suffered a similar fate! I have been perplexed as to what caused my issue. Maybe the Phosguard is what hurt my tank as well! I think i took it out at one point when things looked better in regards to the algae, but added it back in a few weeks later without rinsing.

D3R3K;902115 wrote: Not rinsing the Phosguard caused all of this trouble? I have run Phosguard in my tank to help reduce phosphates and my corals suffered a similar fate! I have been perplexed as to what caused my issue. Maybe the Phosguard is what hurt my tank as well! I think i took it out at one point when things looked better in regards to the algae, but added it back in a few weeks later without rinsing.
It could have been , the damage was doen quite quickly. It was quite devastating to the fleshy lps , they just melted away like tissue paper in water.
It's something I garontee I'll never overlook again definitely.

Back