Kessil output vs standard PAR meters

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
I emailed kessil tech about a few questions I had after going down the PAR videos Rabbit hole of information . I was seeing numbers like 40 and 50 par on these results and knew that wasn't accurate. This is the response I received. Pretty informative.

Hi-

The output is equivalent to 160 watts (but with LED, the light only draws 40W).

We do not use PAR for measurements/comparison for the following reasons:

(1) PAR does not capture all the wavelengths needed for livestock growth, and coloration. PAR also does not distinguish the effects of wavelengths. Higher PAR values do not necessarily translate to be more efficient. Eg. 50 PAR of green vs 50 PAR of blue. Theoretically, the blue is far more valuable but a PAR meter does not distinguish between the two. Worse still, it has less sensitivity in the blue/UV range.

(2) PAR also does not value wavelength combination. Kessil spent many years before launching any products to fine tune and test spectrum to balance the wavelength combinations. Kessil’s initial theories were based on established successful practices and the most current biological research, all of which was verified independently. Through years of testing and experience, Kessil has refined lighting formulas that have proven to be effective.

For Kessil lights, they feature Kessil Logic, which maintains a very similar wavelength combination across different colors. This allows users to choose colors they like to see and not worry about balancing the wavelengths. It also maintains maximum output across each color, allowing the highest output possible.

Back