Introduction. I'm Dave, how the hell are ya?

I'm just picking on ya bud.

I have some lights that are slightly</em> too large for your tank, they would hang off either side by 2". But then if you move to a tank that's a few inches longer like a standard 20 or a 30 cube you could still use them. And they will keep your corals alive. It's just a dual 2x24w t5 but it's sleek looking and the bulbs are fresh. I also have some marineland blue LED strips that clip on the inside of the rim of the tank for pop, but you don't need to have those. I know you're not exactly close by but if you're interested shoot me a pm.

OceanDeep85;967862 wrote: Wasn't aware that Damsels made you less of a man... Odd.

First, Welcome to the ARC! Some here are biased on some things while others say go with what you enjoy. I guess I'm also less of a man because Damsels are one of my favorite fish. I'm attracted to them because while I was overseas in Asian; I saw damsels while snorkeling and during low tide. Of course, there was many other varieties of fish, but the damsels stood out to me for their colorful blue present.

Many don't like Damsels because they can be aggressive and territorial to other tank mates. Damsels are also very hard to catch if you need to capture them. Any rocks will have to be removed from the tank and it still would be hard to capture them. In your research here at ARC, you will find others complaining on how difficult it is to capture a Damsel and a few have left the Damsels in the tank because of the difficulty in their attempts to get the Damsel out of the tank.

Again, welcome to the ARC.

Wannabee

OceanDeep85;967863 wrote: Thanks all... Other than the damsel hater, everyone seems pretty awesome!!
Damsels isn't the only things he hates. Stay tuned and you'll find out.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;968315 wrote: First, Welcome to the ARC! Some here are biased on some things while others say go with what you enjoy. I guess I'm also less of a man because Damsels are one of my favorite fish. I'm attracted to them because while I was overseas in Asian; I saw damsels while snorkeling and during low tide. Of course, there was many other varieties of fish, but the damsels stood out to me for their colorful blue present.

Many don't like Damsels because they can be aggressive and territorial to other tank mates. Damsels are also very hard to catch if you need to capture them. Any rocks will have to be removed from the tank and it still would be hard to capture them. In your research here at ARC, you will find others complaining on how difficult it is to capture a Damsel and a few have left the Damsels in the tank because of the difficulty in their attempts to get the Damsel out of the tank.

Again, welcome to the ARC.

Wannabee
You pretty much nailed it, they're pretty aggressive to other damselfish, and not many consider clownfish damselfish but I'm pretty sure they are. I know that they will be territorial. And when you want to get them out, good luck! But are they ugly? I must confess, I like chromis. I want to have 2 or 3 in the 60 cube.. But I might just opt for a pair of clowns, a kole tang, and a nice wrasse instead. And maybe a red scooter blenny.. And maybe a cool goby...

OceanDeep85;967908 wrote: Gotcha gotcha. It went over my head because, well, I'm still getting to know everyone... haha. Wasn't hurt over it, just confused. How does a fish make someone less manly? I scratched my head for a second and then went on living my life.

I will definitely check out his tank.

I've really enjoyed getting to know everyone and am absolutely elated that such an awesome club like this exists here at home. :up:

This won't be the last time that you scratch your head and then move on. You will see some comments that may seem to be offensive in nature. I like the ole saying "take it like a grain of salt". I've heard myself quoting this phrase more than once while visiting the ARC website.

Wannabee

JC_k;967875 wrote: Every reef tank has to have a clown in my opinion lol.
+ 1 on what Jacob stated. A tank without a clown is just a tank. A tank with a clown is a reef tank. Just as a circus is not a circus without a clown or two. What attraction does the majority of children remember about the circus at such a young age? A clown of course.

Can you imagine "Saving Nemo" without the star of the show? I don't believe it would have been a major hit with another fish. Every child that sees a reef tank with a clown fish states "There's Nemo". How could it be any other way?

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;968326 wrote: + 1 on what Jacob stated. A tank without a clown is just a tank. A tank with a clown is a reef tank. Just as a circus is not a circus without a clown or two. What attraction does the majority of children remember about the circus at such a young age? A clown of course.

Can you imagine "Saving Nemo" without the star of the show? I don't believe it would have been a major hit with another fish. Every child that sees a reef tank with a clown fish states "There's Nemo". How could it be any other way.

Wannabee
I think the word your looking for is finding not saving Nemo. Lmao

jtsreef;968328 wrote: I think the word your looking for is finding not saving Nemo. Lmao

Like the title states: If I would have been the original writer, the title would have been "Saving Nemo" not the other one that they came up with.

Wannabee

All in good time. Believe me, clowns are part of the master plan. For now, I'm just honing the craft.. learning and researching as much as I can.. addressing problems as they come up. I have about 12lbs of mixed live-rock (tonga and others I can't identify), a blue damsel and a gold damsel, some frogspawn (THANKS BOBz!!), some Green Star Polyps (still waiting for them to open but thanks again BOBz!!) and a Kenya tree that I've been advised 10 or 15 times to do away with... haha

I think what I've got is plenty for right now. I want to see how everything's doing in a few weeks before I think about rehoming to a bigger tank already.. plus I need to see how much a new laptop's gonna cost me for Law School... :shout:

now.. about Nemo... haha

Honestly, I freakin' love the movie... but the worldwide public reaction to it makes me want to run through the streets with an automatic weapon. That movie has single-handedly led to the destruction of so much marine ecosystem it's unreal. Part of the reason why I don't have a clown yet... I feel guilty.

Get a tank bred clown. That way you can be part of the solution and not the problem :)

I know that clubs like this are definitely part of the solution. All of the trading and selling between members... does my heart good. Hopefully one day we can get to a point where the hobby is self sustaining and frags and fish can just be bred and traded and sold amongst like-minded hobbyists and we won't need to pillage reefs at all anymore. :yes:

I don't think because your kids saw a Disney or Pixar movie with a cute fish and bug the **** out of you for one is reason enough to destroy what has beautifully unfolded over millennia... :doh::boo:

Back