Inquiring mind

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
What are some experiences you guys have with seahorses? I am looking to purchase some larger seahorses but have no experience with the species and I am trying to avoid issues I think they are beautiful. I have no idea in regards to appropriate tank mates or do’s and don’t’s. I am more than certain that I will be purchasing a pair rather sooner than later but I want to approach this with caution...... thanks

I went to the fish store (actual name of merchant) today and saw a bunch for $100 bucks each and fell in love but felt I needed to do research before making a purchase..... thanks for the reply

Yeah for sure I know they are difficult to keep but I'm sure if you research and set up your tank accordingly you will be fine.

Nemo aquarium (snellville) had a bunch today also ive had one about 2 years
low flow and alot of feeding reallly about it and no fast moving tankmates otherwise they might not eat mine finally eats frozen

Please don’t be critical as I said earlier I am inexperienced in regards to seahorses but I have a question. Would it be a terrible idea to house them with a banded eel?

I kept 3 in a Biocube for 2 years. I kept it seahorses only. Fed twice a day. Being home for feeding was the most trying part. I turned the pumps off during feeding and kept them off for 15-20 min, each feeding. Weekly water changes. It was not nearly as challenging as people make it out so long as your home a lot and don’t go away.

Attachments

• 831F005A-051A-4F09-9673-35E3467BD05C.jpeg
    831F005A-051A-4F09-9673-35E3467BD05C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
Generally if you are wanting to do seahorses you will want to build your system around them. corals for them to anchor to (leathers and gorgonians) and no stinging corals. Slow to medium flow. They are usually best in species only systems but lots of people have had good success housing them with slower swimming fish like cardinals and gobies. Several have had success with clowns as long as they aren't over territorial. If you have any other questions or need any other help let me know

I kept 3 in a Biocube for 2 years. I kept it seahorses only. Fed twice a day. Being home for feeding was the most trying part. I turned the pumps off during feeding and kept them off for 15-20 min, each feeding. Weekly water changes. It was not nearly as challenging as people make it out so long as your home a lot and don’t go away.
Thanks for the input your comments were truly helpful

What are some experiences you guys have with seahorses? I am looking to purchase some larger seahorses but have no experience with the species and I am trying to avoid issues I think they are beautiful. I have no idea in regards to appropriate tank mates or do’s and don’t’s. I am more than certain that I will be purchasing a pair rather sooner than later but I want to approach this with caution...... thanks
Start with live brine shrimp. It hard to get them to eat.

Many species need cold water which means the need for a chiller. Even for ones from warmer waters the Trigger and eel probably aren't good tank mates for a seahorse.

I would say seahorses are an advanced species to keep. I would keep them in a seahorse only tank built specifically for them since their needs are so unique and even a non-aggressive fish (or eel) will have a tendency to annoy and stress them out. Most of the folks I know who keep seahorses also have systems to breed and raise live food options like brine shrimp. Several local stores carry live brine but they run out and it can be a pain constantly going to a store to get food.

Please don’t be critical as I said earlier I am inexperienced in regards to seahorses but I have a question. Would it be a terrible idea to house them with a banded eel?
I’m also new but I would say yes that is a bad idea . Seahorses have to wait for there food to basically come to them so if they have something in there tank that Is faster then then it will most likely eat all of there food

Ashley, with Southern Aquatics, is mostly a freshwater aquarist but also loves Seahorses. You can probably pick her brain.

She did tell me once that she’s found many Seahorse species to be difficult. However, that Dwarf Seahorse (white/grey, max size of a few mm) have always been very easy to keep, and they breed like rabbits. She has a small (5g?) tank on the counter at the shop now if you wanted to take a look. They have a hang-on-inside pod/brine hatchery that stays regularly stocked and feeds the seahorses continuously.

Not exactly a ‘large seahorse’ that you’re looking for; but worth the investigation.

ActiveAngel is spot on... Dwarf Seahorses are very cool but require a constant supply of Newly hatched Brine Shrimp. It's not difficult to hatch Brine Shrimp but you have to make sure that there are multiple hatches separated by a few days. I'm actually thinking about getting back in to raising them as well. I've got to hatch brine shrimp anyway so I may as well put the extra's to good use! I have one of the hatchery's that ActiveAngel mentioned above but I wasn't able to get it to work very well. Maybe it's time to take it back out and try again. BZ

Ok. Dig out the hatchery andSet the hatchery backup. Let’s see if I can get it working better this time. Last time I had it attacked to a 30g seahorse tank and could not keep it in place. This is 2.5 gallon tank and it fits nicely in the corner.

Attachments

• E7CE875A-B355-4916-9D3D-49A9B74BA30E.jpeg
    E7CE875A-B355-4916-9D3D-49A9B74BA30E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Little late on this forum but I just saw some really cool stuff about dwarf seahorses you can house aton of them in a ten gallon and any bigger is not suggest

Back