@!#%ing Bristleworms

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
Went to my local LFS today. Saw a very nice piece of live rock. Told him I wanted it, then asked what the best dip for this would be? He said, "No need" That rock is clean. I asked 3x's are you sure? Yes! I'm at home in the dark, tank under reds and I see a bunch of bristleworms just hanging out. Managed to catch two. An asterina starfish I was removing got away. I am so pissed. Blame myself mostly but what makes it even more gut wrenching is the store OWNER is the one who gave me this assurance that it was clean. I want to call him and his store out but not sure if I'm allowed to do that here. I know bristleworms are not the end of the world but I wanted to have as clean a system as possible. I have a crap load of money invested in my system. Any advice? I was going to leave the lights on tonight in hopes of keeping them in the rock and pull it in the morning.

Hmm..unless you specifically named all the critters you didn’t want at the store, clean to them may just be not having the more troublesome things like aiptasia and such. The store owner probably didn’t think you were referring to bristle worms and asterina starfish.

Cleaning wise why not just leave it in a bucket of rodi and let the freshwater just kill all the inhabitants. It’ll just reseed when you bring it back into the tank.

I've considered all you just said. I don't think I should have to have given him a list of every pest known to reefing. They prey on corals and I told him I was trying to grow coral. They are ok in the sump but in general are a pest in the tank. I read about the fresh water dip but the rock has a lot of sponge on it too. I think I will still dip it but scrub the sponge with a toothbrush.

I did the freshwater dip and after 5 minutes nothing came out. Scratching my head(?) I quickly grabbed my net, scooped the sand where the rock was and there they were; making their way to my rock scape. Bastards.

Back