Has anyone seen a blue linkia star available local?

Your best bet would be Nemos, however I would advise against any Linckia species besides multiflora (which Nemos still has I think). Most ornamental stars aren't worth the risk due to improper handling, exposure to air damages their hydraulics and they never recover fully. Sifter stars are the same, Pure Reef throws them out if there's air in the shipping bags because they almost never survive.
Some stars, like L. multiflora and chocolate chips, are intertidal and can withstand being out of water. same goes for brittles and serpents. I've had luck with the imposter 'red Linckia' (actually a Fromia) in the past as well if you can find one of those, but blues have always withered for me.
TL, DR: Not worth $40 to watch it melt, go for multiflora. Best Asterina eater that won't touch your urchins or cukes.

He told me its extremely rare for him to get them since his suppliers dont usually get stuff from fiji anymore. (Im having the same problem with Fiji Lyretail anthias)

Ive always had good luck with linkia and formia stars. Butt loads of rock and making sure the system is actually mature enough for them is important. No different than keeping dragonetts, have a food source capable of maintaining itself naturally.

Oh and the exposure to air thing is BS easly dispelled by the fact I have seen blue linkias in the wild out of the water in the surf zones in Fiji. Or I can send you a pic of my current tile star who has been eating stuff at the top of my tank in the wave zone for the past week or so.

Sand stars on the other hand never live. They are basically air filters for your sand, you need to replace them every so often.

Happy to be wrong about this one! Firsthand experience beats anecdotal.
The stars I've kept in the past have all fared well besides the blue linckia, though I did buy that and the red linckia online so that may contribute. Reef Beauties has them in fairly often at good prices, that's where I bought both of mine if you want to try online. Knowing that air isn't a factor gives me more confidence towards culturing them like I'll do with multiflora.

Enderg60 is correct on the air exposure, not a factor and they commonly live in the intertidal. I do agree that L. multiflora are a much better choice if you can find them. They multiply readily in aquariums. My blue linckia was purchased from creation pet a year ago. We have some at the aquarium that are at least ten years old. They are prone to infection and need a mature reef.

Enderg60 is correct on the air exposure, not a factor and they commonly live in the intertidal. I do agree that L. multiflora are a much better choice if you can find them. They multiply readily in aquariums. My blue linckia was purchased from creation pet a year ago. We have some at the aquarium that are at least ten years old. They are prone to infection and need a mature reef.
Infection prone is definitely right. I've seen people successfully treat them with iodine dips, it's what they do for Wasting Disease as well which suffocates the star with a jacket of slime.

Back