Getting back in to the breeding business

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
After several year hiatus,  I'm ready to start rebuilding my breeding setup.   It looks like I'll have plenty of time coming up and can scale back up.   I'm working on the layout of the breeder tanks and system, as well as the grow out systems.   I'll probably tie in to my main display system for ease of maintenance as much as possible.   My old system was running about 800 gallons total volume, and I'm thinking of expanding that closer to 1200 gallons.  Will take some time to get built out but I'm thinking it should be up and running by the end of the year.   I'll probably start with clowns and cardinals again to get myself back in to it,  but will plan on getting back in to gobies, blennies and jawfish next year.   Have to start looking for pairs and rebuilding my breeding stock.    I'll keep this going as a build thread in case anyone is interested in the progress.

Bob Z

Welcome back Bob!   Ill be putting a large breading / mouth brooding pair of pajama Cardinals up for sale in the next few weeks.  I (may) also sell my prized 200g acrylic sump and 48 x 18" 30g shallow water frag tank.  .  The baffles were cut with an mrc machine with over flow gates.  It has a return, equipment, live rock, chaeto and grow out section built in.  Ill let you know if I decide to go down that road.

Bob, Glad to hear you are back in the saddle.

Glenn

Thanks guys... keep me posted on the cards too!   I'm not sure I'll be ready but I could get some thing setup temporarily....

Hi Bob, welcome back.

We're hard at work on the new site and we were able to restore several users from the previous vBulletin site that were lost in the conversion, yours included. I'm looking at a thread you started from 2008 as I type this. Your new acct here and the old one were merged so there is no lost data.

Here's a little blast from the past for you ;)

T3atk38u43dga14xfkyx09jwcdfzjwh5p.png
alt="Capture" />

LOL!   A lot has changed since joining back in 2007!   I'm really looking forward to becoming more involved again in the club moving forward.   I actually had the Flame angels in the previous post up until March of this year,  so 11 years which was a pretty good run.   Had a tank crash and lost most of my fish back at that time, very sad.   I was about to give up but let things come back and now the tank is healthy again.    My current setup is a 180 DT and 120 that was basically the "temporary" tank after the crash.    As I build out the brood stock system and the grow out systems I'm trying to decide if I want a single sump or two separate.   Typically have to hammer the brood stock with food to get them ready to spawn so it creates a problem with nutrients.   Have to weigh that against the extra volume and ease of maintenance.    Time to pull the MRC skimmer out of storage!    bob

I'm thinking two sumps or maybe one sump with a divider up the middle to make two separate sides. It'll limit the chance of anything unwanted happening from wiping out everything.

yes, I am leaning towards keeping them separate too.  Have to redesign my DT layout to accommodate the new build anyway.

Welcome Back! Bob have you ever tried breeding the little naked clowns, they are great for the smaller systems. I just lost one of my pair I've had almost 10 years and they are hard to find. They both had the white smiley face.☺

I may go ahead and try them if I can find a pair! thanks holley

I have a pair of Snowcaso clownfish I won from an ARC raffle a couple of years ago I will be rehoming soon. Let me know if you're intersted!

Yes I still have them, I've had some interest, but I will be posting pics etc when I am actually going to sell them. I was going to ask 500 for the pair which is a great deal because of you go to their site, they are usually 350 each. http://snowcasso.com/shop

They are extremely healthy, I QT ALL my fish before I put ANYTHING in my main tank. I'm moving to CO though and can't take anything with me, so my loss is your gain.

BobZ. Wow! I took a little time away myself and thought about calling you when I started coming back to it. I've kept your contact information all these years because you were such a big part of my reef education. I still have some green palys that you gave me years and years ago as well as a tall refugium that's still in use. Glad to see you back and can't wait to see what you're putting together!

BobZ. Wow! I took a little time away myself and thought about calling you when I started coming back to it. I've kept your contact information all these years because you were such a big part of my reef education. I still have some green palys that you gave me years and years ago as well as a tall refugium that's still in use. Glad to see you back and can't wait to see what you're putting together!

Are you James from Athens? If so, it would be a Great moment to see you get back into breeding Clowns. I made several drives to Athens to pick up some Great fish from you.

Wannabee

Are you James from Athens? If so, it would be a Great moment to see you get back into breeding Clowns. I made several drives to Athens to pick up some Great fish from you.

Wannabee

No sir. I've never bred clowns; I'm Justin from Stone Mountain!

Back