Status
Not open for further replies.

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
ARC Forum Reef-Scape Photo Contest

Good morning everybody! I have a new contest (and prize money) that I'm very excited to present to y'all.

The ARC website, if viewed on a desktop browser has an old reef-scape header/banner at the top of the page. Maybe some of you noticed. But this image is not seen in mobile, so if you didn't know about it, you're not alone.
Frankly, this image is old, faded, pixelated, and stretched... in short, it looks weird.
ARC old reefscape Banner.JPG

But there is Good News!

We are looking for photos to replace this, and what better than to display some of our ARC Member's display tanks! Please submit any photos of your tank that you wish to throw in the ring for consideration!
  • Post images of your reef-scape! Fish and inverts are welcome, but it must include some corals, whether a handful of frags, or many large colonies.
  • Preferably try to get these images in high resolution. DSLR and SLR with a tripod is great, but even modern camera-phones take amazing photos.
    • Don't worry, our editors can crop the image and put on any 'finishing touches' before posting it.
  • Please give a "like" to any and all photos that you wish to vote for.
  • Please feel free to tag anybody that you think has an awesome tank and/or provide new photos.
  • Multiple submissions welcome. Just place each image in a separate post, in order to help with voting.

What is the prize?
In addition to potentially getting your photo chosen to be the new header for the ARC website, we will also include a $50 gift certificate to one of our LFS Sponsors of your choice.

When does the contest end?
I'll leave this contest open-ended for now. But tentatively, let's shoot for March 2020. That's almost 2 months, in case you want to submit a few photos separately, from different angles or lighting.

How will the winner be chosen?
Winner will be chosen by the Contest Committee. However, there will be an exceptionally strong preference given to whichever photo has the most likes!

I can't wait to see what yall come up with!

Last edited:
I believe that the current banner pic is that of a tank of one of the early members, the creator of the original forum and twice president @mojo.
It replaced a previous pic of a tank of one of the members who left the club and made a big stink about using "his tank to promote the site".
My first point is that the current pic pays homage to one of the people who contributed so much to the success of the club and ,IMHO, should remain.
My second point is that if you do decide to replace it, make sure you have the "donor" sign some kind of release of rights...

@lizzyann What are you using to take these pictures? Camera/lense/filter/settings? They look AMAZING!

Thanks! Yea, these ain't no cell phone shots. Honestly I can't take too much credit, I mean I took these, but captured with my boyfriend's fancy professional camera (except for the first zoa shot, pretty sure that was just my pixel 2 and filters during a water change so I could get closer). It's Sony a7III with a FE 2.8/90 Macro G OSS lens. Just on auto cause I never have the patience to remember all the possible settings even though the boyfriend has tried to teach me multiple times, hah. It's out of my league but even on auto it turns out incredible photos. I turn the blue leds up all the way, then increase the whites a good bit too (the tank looks way too white and not as colorful to my eyes but the camera still reads it as pretty blue). I think this is what most people miss when trying to photograph their tanks. Just keep turning the white up! And use yellow and orange filters! Then even with the nice camera photos I usually have to edit to warm them up and increase the green tint so they aren't too pink/purpley.

Would anybody else care to submit tank photos? If so, now a your chance! We sincerely want your submissions.

There has only been a couple posts... so there is little competition to win $50 and a chance to have your photo posted on the website for a few months. This contest is free and open to everyone (except me, lol. Otherwise I’d be all over it!)

Here's mine
b019fab2769bea7e387147001bcb7b66.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Would anybody else care to submit tank photos? If so, now a your chance! We sincerely want your submissions.

There has only been a couple posts... so there is little competition to win $50 and a chance to have your photo posted on the website for a few months. This contest is free and open to everyone (except me, lol. Otherwise I’d be all over it!)
I think our tank is pretty but I don’t have a camera that could capture a good shot of it and I have lots of pretty corals in there but they are just baby frags, nothing is grown out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back