DIY Trickle Tower Sump

muhast

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys, working on setting up my first sump. I'm planning on doing the trickle Tower Sump that Joey (King of DIY) has videos on. I also purchased his E-book as well to help.

Has anyone else tried this, if so, thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

SeanD;1114512 wrote: is that the one he makes out of the drawers?
Yes. I'm hesitant replicate it, but it looks simple enough to do and would be cost effective.

It is very simple but when I tried it wasn't very effective

SeanD;1114520 wrote: It is very simple but when I tried it wasn't very effective
What issues did you have? I was planning to do it Sunday.

It was noisy and the floss formed little cups where all the dirty stuff was. I changed to a sock and skimmer.

SeanD;1114530 wrote: It was noisy and the floss formed little cups where all the dirty stuff was. I changed to a sock and skimmer.
I was thinking of having the tower, heater, a skimmer in the sump.

Would that work alright?

SeanD;1114534 wrote: It should work fine
Thanks for the feedback! Did you use any website or videos to help you with the plumbing aspect?

I always go wet/dry or trickle with FW... I wouldn't really consider it with salt water.... They are really easy to make though. I've made several. Including one with 80 gallons of bio balls, two 5 foot tall towers of trickle... I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want wet/dry with salt water though...

Danh;1114536 wrote: I always go wet/dry or trickle with FW... I wouldn't really consider it with salt water.... They are really easy to make though. I've made several. Including one with 80 gallons of bio balls, two 5 foot tall towers of trickle... I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want wet/dry with salt water though...
Any reason you wouldn't consider it for saltwater?

Most people consider wet/dry outdated for SW, my nitrates were always high. Lost a lot of fish, wouldn't even consider in a reef (my opinion). Like I said this is based on my personal experience, your mileage may vary

They are good to turn waste to nitrates and for gas exchange. In SW you get just as good of nitrate production from your live rock or other submerged media and your open top tank, increased circulation and of course your skimmer provide enough gas exchange.

As a person who has tried / made / DIYed pretty much everything in this hobby I can tell you a tub of live rock(or any porous material like matrix) with a filter sock will out preform a trickle tower in every way.

Filter floss will as mentioned will only actually work in one spot in the middle, and if you dont change it out at least every week it becomes a nitrate factory. Filter socks will too, but its easier to get 10 of them, rotate them out every 3-7 days and clean them in groups. Also ends up cheaper than tossing filter floss(thats only 1/5 used) every time.

If you want filter floss to work well, you need to have it supported by egg crate, and make a manifold to evenly distribute the water over the whole area. This usually means a cross of pipe with holes drilled in it so it acts like a shower head...which clog up before the floss will.

Bio balls(or any plastic media used to grow bacteria) can work but get a bad rep because they are fantastic at ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, but pretty much do zero for nitrate to nitrogen and can gather gunk if not rinsed every few months which is why people say they are nitrate factories.

So if you really want to make one, go for it. But a rubbermaid tub with live rock and a filter sock will work better.

And if you are in need of bio balls or matrix, I have lots in my basement from when I tried this many years ago.

EnderG60;1114550 wrote: As a person who has tried / made / DIYed pretty much everything in this hobby I can tell you a tub of live rock(or any porous material like matrix) with a filter sock will out preform a trickle tower in every way.

Filter floss will as mentioned will only actually work in one spot in the middle, and if you dont change it out at least every week it becomes a nitrate factory. Filter socks will too, but its easier to get 10 of them, rotate them out every 3-7 days and clean them in groups. Also ends up cheaper than tossing filter floss(thats only 1/5 used) every time.

If you want filter floss to work well, you need to have it supported by egg crate, and make a manifold to evenly distribute the water over the whole area. This usually means a cross of pipe with holes drilled in it so it acts like a shower head...which clog up before the floss will.

Bio balls(or any plastic media used to grow bacteria) can work but get a bad rep because they are fantastic at ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, but pretty much do zero for nitrate to nitrogen and can gather gunk if not rinsed every few months which is why people say they are nitrate factories.

So if you really want to make one, go for it. But a rubbermaid tub with live rock and a filter sock will work better.

And if you are in need of bio balls or matrix, I have lots in my basement from when I tried this many years ago.
That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a picture or link that I can see to get an idea of how it should be set up?

Agree 100% i've wasted a lot of money and time chasing a cheaper alternative

Back