Coris wrasse and and type discussion

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have fine powdery sand in my current setup and I absolutely hate it. I told myself before that I’d never do fine sand again, and here we are. It gets blown everywhere.

I’m considering replacing it with coarser aragonite, which is mostly smaller chunks of crushed coral rather than powdery bits.

Will bmy yellow Coris be okay diving into it? As you know, Coris wrasses love to fling themselves into the sand at light speed when startled. Just curious if this is a good idea or not.

Not worried about kicking up nitrates, as my sand gets shuffled routinely.

Thanks in advance!

You mean like fiji aragonite. If you mean that aragonite then it will be perfectly fine. My leopard and coris wrasse have no problems with the aragonite.

Depends on how sharp it is. They can be ok with fairly large sand as long as it isn't too sharp, the crushed shell mix would be too rough if that's what you're talking about swapping to. My suggestion would be to leave the soft sand in lower flow areas and just slowly swap out the spots of stuff that get too much flow with the heavier stuff. Eventually the soft stuff will just be in spots where it doesn't get blown around and the heavy stuff will be everywhere else. Also lets you go slow and not risk a major upset with chemistry and gives you time to make sure your wrasse is happy.

Depends on how sharp it is. They can be ok with fairly large sand as long as it isn't too sharp, the crushed shell mix would be too rough if that's what you're talking about swapping to. My suggestion would be to leave the soft sand in lower flow areas and just slowly swap out the spots of stuff that get too much flow with the heavier stuff. Eventually the soft stuff will just be in spots where it doesn't get blown around and the heavy stuff will be everywhere else. Also lets you go slow and not risk a major upset with chemistry and gives you time to make sure your wrasse is happy.
Like this answer. I've already removed small amounts in each water change in the areas where it's blowing everywhere. I think I will continue this approach and add in the larger grain stuff over time. I know where he sleeps too, so I'll leave him so soft sand there. Thanks for the answer

Back