Coral Dip

Doylef

Supporting
Reaction score
I see there are a lot of coral dips out there and see mixed reviews on some and some say they better than others and all that. I have the sea chem coral dip but been looking at coral rx pro. What do most of you use to dip coral? I have not started dipping corals yet as have been getting them from my LFS. But want to start dipping all my corals from now on no matter where they come from. Thank you for your time and feedback.

I use Revive also, but I would also recommend removing any coral off the frag plug or whatever base it comes on. Especially with acros, sure, you might be losing some growth, but its not worth any eggs that a dip can't kill.
I read that somewhere last week where they was doing that. I know this sounds crazy but I have never fragged a coral of any type yet. I have several in my tank but they are all still young. I may have a couple of zoas that i may can frag a few heads but thats it. I may need to look into how to frag and do all the coral fun stuff.

I read that somewhere last week where they was doing that. I know this sounds crazy but I have never fragged a coral of any type yet. I have several in my tank but they are all still young. I may have a couple of zoas that i may can frag a few heads but thats it. I may need to look into how to frag and do all the coral fun stuff.
I am not talking about fragging your own coral, I'm talking about removing the coral off any frag plug it comes on to better protect you from pest.

I am not talking about fragging your own coral, I'm talking about removing the coral off any frag plug it comes on to better protect you from pest.
How would you cut it off of a plug if it is glued or has the epoxy on it? Just curious. This is all a learning curve to me.

I ordered a frag tool kit from Amazon a while back along with some frag racks. I know theres some big ole cutters in there. Thank you all for your help.

I use Bayer Insecticide for pests at the concentration specified here:

It has been incredibly effective on pests AND gentle on corals for me. I've put softies, lps, and sps through it with no issues (even acros).

For infections, slime, or in general after fragging I use lugol's iodine. I just eyeball it to a light brown color. This has saved a few corals from tissue loss and has never harmed any corals I used it on. This stuff lasts a long time since a little goes a long way

For algae or other photosynthetics I use peroxide. Dose varies depending on the coral (you can find this online). This one requires caution. I have accidentally killed a couple corals with it. Notably it was really harsh on candy canes for some reason

Potassium Chloride (KCL) 2 tablespoons per gallon 10-15 minutes. Revive has mostly Potassium salts if I'm not mistaken as well. Bayer works good but can be really harsh on certain acros. Coral rx is ok but a little on the harsh side too. Lugols great for what chaples saidKeep in mind im acro heavy.

Back