CLOSED POLL: Future Photo Contests Ideas

Which Contest would you like to see next!? (choose up to 4 options)

• Total voters

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
There's lots of possibilities for photo contests, and lots of considerations when choosing a subject. We want them to be interesting and fun, but also accessible to everyone including beginners. But most of all, we want them to be contests that you all want to see and to participate in!

I've also added a selection for doing a Video Contest. I'm not sure how we would do it exactly (perhaps hosting through Youtube or other platform). And I understand that video requires a bit more work than simply photos. But if you're interested, and willing to participate by making and uploading a short (1-3 minute) video, then please give that selection a vote.

Last edited:
I liked the red/green one, so other colors could be fun. Especially picking colors that aren’t as common in the hobby. Could do ones that go along with holidays somehow maybe? Could also do ones with certain rules/stipulations. Like must have the surface of the water visible, or must show flow/movement, fish/inverts actively doing their “jobs”.

I don’t think a growth competition would really be fair to “new” reefers. It also comes with the possibility of people cheating, which unfortunately people do even if it’s for something small like a badge.

Have the membership vote on the winner, not just one person or a small group of a couple persons.

The way it’s set up now makes it feel like it’s rigged. Popular vote contestants don’t even get mentioned.

Have the membership vote on the winner, not just one person or a small group of a couple persons.

The way it’s set up now makes it feel like it’s rigged. Popular vote contestants don’t even get mentioned.

I agree. While not on-topic, I agree it is a fair point. Unfortunately, the 'like' system is severely flawed in a few ways (again, off topic, so shoot me a call if you're curious and want to have a conversation). Regardless, it doesn't mean there isn't one (or more) elegant solutions. One solution around that is to allow anyone and everyone to vote that wishes to vote, and to hold such a vote, without making the process too cumbersome.

That is why I have been pushing for a committee of people since I first was asked to take over. This is not restricted to a small number. It has always been open to anyone and everyone. And we have made announcements at several of the meetings. If you want to join, just let me know!

I agree. While not on-topic, I agree it is a fair point. Unfortunately, the 'like' system is severely flawed in a few ways (again, off topic, so shoot me a call if you're curious and want to have a conversation). Regardless, it doesn't mean there isn't one (or more) elegant solutions. One solution around that is to allow anyone and everyone to vote that wishes to vote, and to hold such a vote, without making the process too cumbersome.

That is why I have been pushing for a committee of people since I first was asked to take over. This is not restricted to a small number. It has always been open to anyone and everyone. And we have made announcements at several of the meetings. If you want to join, just let me know!
A possible solution for this would be to run a poll at the top of the voting page, and assign each entry a number. That way everyone would get one vote to the one picture they like, and the votes could be counted fairly.

@Jikkermanccini This approach has also been thought out and introduces its own flaws. But it is in the ballpark of something possible, with both system tweaking and additional effort.

If you're interested in joining, then let me know. Once again, im happy for anyone and everyone that wants to help.

But once again; its off topic. So lets keep on track here.

I also think a vote from EVERYONE, not just some committee, would be nice. Having physical evidence of a winner is much more satisfying, for those competing (at least in my mind), than just being told someone is a winner because someone said so.

I also think a vote from EVERYONE, not just some committee, would be nice. Having physical evidence of a winner is much more satisfying, for those competing (at least in my mind), than just being told someone is a winner because someone said so.
Once again, this is off-topic for this thread. This thread is for new contest ideas. See previous comments and FAQ section.

The committee is everyone that wants to vote. It doesnt disclude anyone. And dismissing volunteers as "just some committee" is demeaning. All one has to do is volunteer that they want to do so. Are you volunteering? Shoot me a PM.

Once again, this is off-topic for this thread. This thread is for new contest ideas. See previous comments and FAQ section.

The committee is everyone that wants to vote. It doesnt disclude anyone. And dismissing volunteers as "just some committee" is demeaning. All one has to do is volunteer that they want to do so. Are you volunteering? Shoot me a PM.

I have to disagree with the above statement. You’ve asked for ideas, yes about different contests that can be run but you also state you want everyone to want to participate. My comment and @Hunna both suggest that we use a popular vote to determine a winner. You state that the committee that wants to vote is everyone but in all of the contests popular vote means nothing and in most cases, the popular vote contestants with the most votes don’t win or even get mentioned. I’m sure the comment “some committee“ was not meant to be demeaning…at least not anymore then not mentioning the contestants that get the most votes is demeaning.

I spent five years participating in running the club from being the president, vice president, secretary, and on the Board of Directors. During this time I heard a lot of comments that are made by club members and while yes, volunteers run this club, we have to take into account that there will be many other opinions other than ours. I had to learn how to develop a thick skin and accept the fact there will be other opinions on how things should be done. So don’t take it to heart just understand there are some that might want to see things done differently or maybe it’s just an opportunity to take some time and explain why they can’t be done differently .

these are just my thoughts…

Last edited:
Thanks @dball711 . I believe you may have misunderstood or misread a little.

(Edit: You're right. I totally mistyped on that one comment. A couple words got deleted before submission. It meant to say that the committee is "open to" everyone and all you have to do is ask. If you would like to help out, i continue to extend the invitation.)

To address your point, i dont recall if we have ever held a straight popular vote. But we do have the "like/emoji" system, and the issues with that system have been addressed (but we can address them again if you like). Assuming this is the popular vote being referenced, i believe we have been clear in both 1) that system doesnt determine the winner, and 2) which procedures in place do. Likewise, its also untrue to argue that said person never gets mentioned. However, if you are requesting a formal acknowledgement of who got the most likes, loves, etc... (and potentially publishing a weighted scale for each type), we can consider that! Lets chat offline about this, so that i can better hear your input! It'll be nice to talk rather than type.

I am not offended by any of the above statements, and intended "demeaning" literally (i.e., to make a statement that belittles others). While this could potentially be hurtful if taken personally, I did not intend to imply that I or others were emotionally hurt in any way.

Lets chat soon! Im a bit swamped lately, but will find a way to make some time for you. I appreciate your input.

Could do some thing like the biggest of _______
could be specific like the biggest colony of rasta or something more general like biggest colony of a monti. likewise, for fun could be something like the biggest colony of dead coral, strangest coral formation/shape, etc

coolest invert picture

Cleanest sump

most automated

most algae 😂

Problem with “largest” of something, would be those of us with nano tanks wouldn’t really stand a chance. I feel like the contests should at least try and be as inclusive to everyone as possible, in order to have better participation. Something like “best pose” or “utility fish/creature doing it job” or “best/worst hitchhiker”, are all things majority of people with a tank could participate in.

Back