Chiller run through drain line going to basement or no?

1mbrews8

Market
Reaction score
So I have my 180g DT on the first floor and other frag tanks, 100g rubbermaid sump, etc in basement.
I have a jeabo 20k pumping it back up as well as to the frag tanks with manifold.

I do have extra manifold "spots" I could use.

I currently have my 1/2 hp OLD chiller running via gravity/the water through one of the DT main drains.

I just got a new 1/4 hp chiller so deciding on best way to do/re work plumbing, etc..

Same thing? Or use manifold?
Any thoughts?

new chiller is:

anyone? only con I can think of is detritus etc getting caught and messing something up?

I would not do that. First off the inner coils of the chiller are not 1"(maybe 1/2" at best more likely 3/8") so there will be a HUGE restriction in flow and chances of clogging are much higher. Second air bubbles in the drain will lower the cooling capacity thus requiring more power to get the same amount of cooling.

Best thing to do is pipe your tank return through it, second best is have it on its own branch.

I would not do that. First off the inner coils of the chiller are not 1"(maybe 1/2" at best more likely 3/8") so there will be a HUGE restriction in flow and chances of clogging are much higher. Second air bubbles in the drain will lower the cooling capacity thus requiring more power to get the same amount of cooling.

Best thing to do is pipe your tank return through it, second best is have it on its own branch.
Roger that! Due to making it easier to plumb, I was definitely leaning towards just using the manifold and the regular reinforced tubing stuff 💪🏻

Just double check the flow requirements for the chiller and youre good to go. They usually list a minimum flow rate to keep the coils from freezing.

Back