Aiptasia?

Drknudsenx2

Market
Reaction score
Sorry for the poor quality picture, that was best angle I could get or my Zoa without removing it. The Zoa has been there for at least 6 months, has finally started showing some interest in growing, and I haven’t added anything new to the tank it like 6 weeks. Only spot I’m seeing this and have not seen anything before. But I guess could be a reason for these guys not growing well. BED2BCB2-2E31-44F3-8F3E-CBEFC46396FA.jpeg

I had an aptasia in the middle of my zoa colony and noticed that the zoas were pulled back. I think the aptasia stings the zoa. Killed it with some aptasia X and my zoa is doing better.

Many reefers deal with aiptasia... For what its worth... Ive used aiptasia X and it seemed to work right then and there but for me it didnt last long and more would pop up. Ive tried an aiptasia eating filefish and my particular fish didnt touch them... doesnt mean that all filefish will not eat them mine just didnt. My surefire way that i dealt with them is with Berghia nudibranch. That is the only thing they eat. The downside is availability and cost and also they die off once there are no more aiptasia for them to eat.

Thoughts on peppermint shrimp? I would hate to get a fish that is going to end up dying after it has done its job. I do have a banded shrimp so would worry it could kill the peppermint shrimp as well.

Thoughts on peppermint shrimp? I would hate to get a fish that is going to end up dying after it has done its job. I do have a banded shrimp so would worry it could kill the peppermint shrimp as well.
Peppermints are hit or miss for me. They also will take the easy route and eat what you feed the tank over aiptasia often. Only sure route is berghias. If those are the only ones, you might get away with only 1 nudi. The other option is just ditching the frag if you aren't too attached to it.

If they are the only ones and it's that one little frag I'd super glue over their little hole and put some epoxy on top for good measure, or just chuck that little frag in the trash.

I had one pop up on a frag weeks after I got it.. I shoved that side down into in the sand and that was that.. for now? no need to overthink it. some times solutions are pretty simple

If they are the only ones and it's that one little frag I'd super glue over their little hole and put some epoxy on top for good measure, or just chuck that little frag in the trash.
I second this. In my last tank, I'd take the rock out, smother them with superglue, rinse the rock then put them back. Not sure if the rinsing was necessary or if that was me just being paranoid. Hah.

If they are just on that one rock, toss it in the trash. Accept the loss of the coral. These things are like herpes. Killing them usually just makes them multiply.

Trust me Ive ruined 2 tanks trying to save a coral and kill the aptasia.

I too struggled with aiptasia and just the right choice to eliminate them. I used Aiptasia X and it worked great but there were always new aiptasia popping up somewhere else, it was a daunting task. I had tried 1 peppermint shrimp but didn't have much luck. I checked into file fish but they too are a hit or miss plus they can pick on corals. I finally found a deal online for peppermint shrimp (locally they were $10 each) for $3 each so in frustration with my aiptasia I ordered a dozen. Crazy I know.....but it worked. They eliminated every aiptasia that I can see. Now that the aiptasia are gone they dance around all over my tank darting in and out of rocks.

Point being, as others have said, although peppermint shrimp can be a hit or miss when it comes to aiptasia removal, add several and hopefully like me you'll have them having the herd mentality and some will definitely do the job.

I too struggled with aiptasia and just the right choice to eliminate them. I used Aiptasia X and it worked great but there were always new aiptasia popping up somewhere else, it was a daunting task. I had tried 1 peppermint shrimp but didn't have much luck. I checked into file fish but they too are a hit or miss plus they can pick on corals. I finally found a deal online for peppermint shrimp (locally they were $10 each) for $3 each so in frustration with my aiptasia I ordered a dozen. Crazy I know.....but it worked. They eliminated every aiptasia that I can see. Now that the aiptasia are gone they dance around all over my tank darting in and out of rocks.

Point being, as others have said, although peppermint shrimp can be a hit or miss when it comes to aiptasia removal, add several and hopefully like me you'll have them having the herd mentality and some will definitely do the job.
Peppermint shrimp work in teams to eliminate aptasia- so you need a small group to get best results. Downside of peppermint shrimp is that they too can irritate coral.

Back