Adams Red Sea Max 650 Build

fishyfishy

Supporting
Reaction score
In October 2016, we closed on our first house and with the HOA fee covering the water bill I decided it was time to try a saltwater fish tank.  I went to Premier Aquatics over my lunch break and saw that the ARC was having a bbq soon.  Somehow I convinced my girlfriend, Dylan, at the time that it was going to be fun and that we should go!  She wasn't immediately convinced but I dragged her along.  Well things worked out well, I signed up for the club, won absolutely nothing in the raffle, and Dylan actually had a good time and gave me the go ahead to find a tank immediately.

We made a move on a 75 gallon setup, rented a van and drove down to Columbus GA to secure the first tank.  Fast forward about a year and I had a pretty worthy setup.  I had upgraded my lights to sb reef lights, got a new sump, skimmer, powerheads, secured plenty of corals and fish and things were moving along well.

T9yssjsd53mgcb5parb7nl6z31lyvi8qi.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180203_160127" />

Then I came across another deal that was too good to pass up, I'm sure you guys know the feeling.  It was a 120 with a beautiful custom stand and came with all sorts of extras.  I can't tell you my secret for convincing loved ones to upgrade tanks, but it might have been the newly married bliss that convinced Dylan this was the last upgrade for a loonnngg time.  Well I rented another van on a rainy day and spent half a day draining and moving another tank into a van.  Moved a 120 with just 2 people.  I layed down some new sand and started making fresh saltwater while working on plumbing.  Got everything set up and running in a week with minimal losses (just a few frags that got misplaced and likely buried).  This was in February of this year and as I stated was to be the last upgrade.

I love 85% of the 120, I am not a fan of the hang on back overflow at all, noisy and gives me a little anxiety knowing that it could be a failure point in the future.  Also the center brace is a bit of a pain on a 5 ft long tank.   The two sb reef lights that did a great job lighting the 4 ft, 75 gallon tank, came up a bit short on the 5 ft tank.

Tgmejj7uja8vk3g3svevb1wxxxea6yqd5.jpg
alt="IMG_20180302_184359" />

I purchased 3 kessils which worked well, but I always had to offset the middle one to avoid the bracing.  I then got some T5 retros that looked great, but then I had to re-do my whole canopy.  It's been project after project with this tank so far, which sometimes is half the fun for me, but I just am not getting exactly what I need from the tank.

Tae732nbt93csrac3m8awltg2w18etoku.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180329_132423" />

T7bepsjqbirf4wszcb6p2opbhx1snvsfs.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180517_162524" />

So then we found ourselves at The Fish Store and looking at their display red sea 650.  I mentioned that I saw one was being sold on the forum and that it was a pretty good deal... although still way more than we were planning on getting into.  I wasn't even seriously considering making the upgrade, since it had only been 4 months since the 120 was set up.  Well, as you can see from the title of this thread, a Red Sea Max S 650 LED is my Birthday and Christmas gift for the next decade.

We literally sent Dmitri a text that day and met him that night.  Luckily for us, he is just 25 minutes away.  The new Red Sea Max 650's are really beautiful and well designed tanks.  The glass is thick and low iron and the new LED enclosure is modern and clean looking and hopefully with 4 Hydra 26's should be able to grow anything.  Also love the full length overflow, which should do an amazing job with surface skimming and the 4 pumps that are hidden that provide plenty of flow.  I'll probably still run 2 MP40's on the sides, but there shouldn't be a dead spot in the whole tank, which has always been a struggle of mine.

We made the decision to go for it.  It's going to be so nice having a silent tank.  The past two tanks have only ever been one drain setups and it hasn't been ideal getting the bean animal to silence up without too much air.  The Red Sea uses a full siphon with emergency 2nd drain.  I'll be sleeping easy.

I got some help the past weekend from Sean and Dann from the club, along with Dmitri, and we moved the beast into the truck.  The tank was heavier than any of us imagined.  It took all 4 of us giving maximum effort to move both the tank and the stand.  Everyone was a bit shocked.  I owe them many thanks for helping out.

The past week the tank has been sitting in the garage and have been doing some work daily cleaning coraline off the side and back wall, and getting pumps cleaned.  This tank had sooo much life in it.  You could tell it was a successful tank, so my efforts to make sure it is fully cleaned will be needed so I don't let anything dead remain.

Back wall half cleaned

Tddg730m866fkw3zxv727lx3sdxqnm2up.jpg
alt="IMG_20180618_171650" />

back wall almost completely cleaned

Ty6hx92m3td0hmfau75r1x63g3n7ky46m.jpg
alt="IMG_20180621_142129" />

dirty side glass

Tlmy185bwi7fi523spyxbgtaxli0bqkh2.jpg
alt="IMG_20180618_171308" />

dirty side glass cleaned

T7llwoh1ocjw7bdjwhiiooaiusame2f50.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180621_134730" />

feather duster "refugium" - drain section

T7eb8zpz0n34fcsv0xsnwosll4wnp0lrx.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180620_154234" />

I'll update as I get it fully cleaned and ready to move.  I have another week of it in the garage, then I will be out of town for a week, then it will be time to move it into the house and begin transferring livestock over.

Congrats on the new, to you, RSM. They are great setups.

The old 120 would make a great remote sump... ;)

That would be a great sump. But would have to be located in the garage through two walls, I don't think that will be happening. The red Sea sump is pretty nice anyways. Excited to try growing cheato since my current sump doesn't have an area for that.

I have been out there for little hour long bursts cleaning up the tank. It's hot out so can't last for much longer. Just wanted to share the progress for today as I got all the extra stagnant water and sand out of the bottom and from the overflow chamber. Super gross after sitting for a week dying.

T9yv7fr9vd4gfoj5f7k101zcikymex8uw.jpg
alt="IMG_20180624_123817" />

I used a bunch of filter pad I had lying around as a sponge. Let it soak and then ring it out. Repeat until dry.

Guess next step is to get the sump nice and clean.

Man! I am happy for you. I would totally love to replace my 525XL with a system like yours. However, I'm gun shy now. Having had a 300 DD burst a seam on me and dump 200 gallons of water on the floor, I think I'll stay with the smaller footprint. I can tell you though, you will love the quiet and beauty of this system when you get it up and running.

It was great to meet you and the T5s are working out perfectly. Happy reefing!

Tank is sufficiently clean! Ready for the transfer once I get back from Florida.

Tewjehdl5vrb485m53s5hyww7gpstdp3h.jpg
alt="IMG_20180629_095331" />

Tank is against the wall so hard to get a good shot of it. It'll look better stocked with corals and fish anyways.

Got the Apex probes finally calibrated. That was a pain. Had to recalibrate multiple times. Had it get stuck on steps. Etc etc. Glad it's giving me good readings now.

I'll need a couple hands if anyone is interested next Sunday. My plan is to drain the old tank into plastic totes, move rock, move fish, remove sand, move old tank and equipment, replace with new tank and equipment, clean sand and place in New tank with a bag or two of new sand, replace rocks and fish and water.

Hopefully it will be seamless. If you are available, let me know! I can order some pizza and beer to the house.

Tank was moved today with the help of Dann and Dmitri again, along with a few friends. Got up around 9 and worked on disconnecting and prepping fresh saltwater for the day. Broke down the skimmer and return pump, removed the Apex, the mp40s and took down the lights. Drained the sump and moved it out.

Tvs0xhi8591b739wyrcgeaufk5863vljh.jpg
alt="IMG_20180708_121003" />
Thjldjqi02ee6k4wvm75p4jnaqhy5h0rp.jpg
alt="IMG_20180708_120943" />

Dmitri came around first and helped move rock, catch fish and drain the tank. After a brief break the rest of the team came by and we moved the new tank to location.

I went with mostly new sand. I figured it was just much easier. Rinsing the sand was slow and I wasn't sure how good of a job I was doing.

All the fish and coral have been transferred over. Everyone seems happy currently, although the water is milky from the sand. Ran out of water and making more to fill the rest of the tank and sump.

Takcwfoyo3n7nalh9h3de1cp6ebudu3tv.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180708_164701" />

Hey Adam. That looks 1000% better that it did when I last saw it sitting in the garage. Great job my friend. It's finally on the way. Congrats!

Thank you! It was a lot of hard work, but always rewarding. Once visibility improves a bit I'll work out the aquascape.

One of these days I'm gonna start everything slow and dry... The quick shuffle from tank to tank with coral and fish everywhere is always stressful.

Getting some of the rocks stacked up. Aquascape is coming alive! The water clarity should continue to clear if I don't kick up the sand too much (or the leopard wrasse)

T9uv1z4bdinaefltpoj6btkqo4favfa2f.jpg
alt="IMG_20180709_150528" />

Everything is running great. Didn't/haven't lost any livestock or corals in the transfer. My birdsnest was looking rough when I got back from vacation, but nothing to do with the move. I moved it to more flow so hopefully will recover.

Got the two mp40s hooked up with a wxm module the other day, love having those run on a schedule. I would say the upgrade was a complete success. I'll share some pics of how things look currently. The only issue I'm having is low PH. When I was out of town with the dogs, the pH went to 8.2 and now it tops out at 7.6. I need to run some tests and see if it's excess co2 in the house.

Tfv56ijg2jedksvk73kqq09um0quvefbk.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180712_123816" />
T9g7qcf48mfgvr7ouycnhc6omrszbv7ju.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180712_123749" />
Tkd0b18s37g6k7zb9x0mfckf7yjbm3sze.jpg
alt="MVIMG_20180712_123822" />

Back