3 deaths over 2 months what am i missing

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
Sorry for the length please critique what am i missing.

I have heard that some corals just do not like some tanks. I have had 3 corals die weeks apart with no apparent cause except for one of them could be a # of factors altogather.
The only similarity are the type of corals all thin braching bottle brush type.
They all did not really lose there color till it was too late( 3 day prior of or the day they were removed.) and polyps were extended till the day I took all of them out even if just a little. I dipped all to see if any pests were present and none were. I even dipped other corals to be sure.

One appeared to Swell up for two days before I removed it.

I have chased causes for a while and the only factor that I can come up with is phosphate was a little high .04 to.02 tested with Hana (yes I spent the money on one & not willingly). It is .01 to .00 now. Recently got this past 2 to 3weeks ago.

DKH 11 lamotte stays pretty steady 10. something to 11. something calcium reactor test biweekly
PH 8.0 to 8.2 meter recently calibrated.
Cal 400 ish salifert stays steady calcium reactor test biweekly
Sal 1.025 refractameter 1.023 hydro
Nitrate 0 to 1 salifert low rage test, maybe once it was 1.
Strontium salifert between 4 and 10 (I hate this test.) purchased after all this started.
Lights mh 11:30 to 8:30 actinic 10:30 to 10:00
Mag 1500 with salifert and do not have to dose it.
15% weekly water changes dosed to meet tank #
Temp 80 to 82 chiller
Flow 1 tunze 6100, 2- 6045, 1- 6025
75 gal SPS, 28 gal working cap. sump, euro reef 180, geo cal reacter

I did not use carbon but have started too and I have always rinsed it and the last time I soaked it overnight. I can’t tell if this has hurt or helped can’t remember every time I have used it.

My phosphate has been tied to ro/di water( just this week) which is a coral life filter with all new filters tds tests zero Hana says phosphate is .03 and feeding to much I guess.

My refug was med low flow smelled a little funny (after 3 day trip out of town) so I added a power head in there. Full of cheto and dsb.

Also one miracultured colony a. fenneri I think, had been in tank for 2 months died after red bug treatment,use of carbon afterwards, and 25% water change. Very minimal red bug infestation which was only discovered because of looking for cause of a unhappy coral.

One frag unknown origin miracultured or wild 2 to 3 weeks

One frag 2 months or so. I bought two frags same coral and one dies the other is alive placed inchs apart. (died Thursday).

I also lost a purple pillow several months back on the 13th day after purchase. The reason I mention this is it has similar look, shape and polyps to the one’s that have died.

All other coral are looking great not good and most are growing very well weekly noticeable growth.

What am I missing or doing wrong? (Still fairly new to sps 9 months or so)

So what could it be?

Does this type of coral just not like my tank?

What could or would cause a coral to swell?

Sorry it’s so long and thanks for any help.

J

Why do you keep the Alk so high? With SPS it is hard to say some just RTN, for no apparant reason, even in well established tanks..... I have not read any decisive reason anywhere.... but in most cases some changes trigger this....

Thanks for reply

As to why i keep it so high is for increased growth and because i can.

This is a controversal topic so i will leave it alone. It has been this high for long time before i had this problem.

I was willing to say it just happens but 3 in two months and only 1 in the7 before that makes me think i missing something. It could be the type of coral and my tank but it hard to leave it at that.

Also i thought someone my have had or heard about a coral swelling i will attach a pic.

1coo.jpg
alt="" />

corl2.jpg
alt="" />

If you can think of something else to check please give it a try.

Thanks for reply and any help.

Joe

Can you think of any different event that may have happened around this?

How deep is the sand bed in your tank?
How much flow were they receiving?
Do you have any anemones that may have wandered over them at night?
Do you have any fish that ever perch on them? Blennies, hawkfish, etc.
Were the corals you lost in the same spot?
Were they purchased at the same time and/or from the same location?

Thanks danny i am the guy who brought the red @ blue mushrooms into your old store a while back.

My tank has changed a lot in little ways over the past couple months so it hard to say. This event has got me planning on starting a reef log.

2 of the corals came from the same store at different times and one lived and grew farily well for a about 2 months or so. They were in a similar spot and flow, but other corals near them are fine. One is an oregon tort that is growing well. The second was purchased after the first died. The last one is from a different store and one of the two i bought died. It is in a totally diff. location, flow, and light.

No aneomes, or fish that perch or nip.

Sand bed in tank is not very deep some area's 1" some 2" to 3"
Sand in sump has discolored spots on sides and it's very deep 3 to 4"

I am stumped but feel i am overlooking something stupid.

I am going to take a step back and go over it all agian.

Are bottle bruch/echainta type of coral more difficult than others?

Thanks

joe

Do your pH fluctuates much..What are your measurements A.M., vs. Pm. or other times of the day? From all your readings, it seems to be within reasonable range. Since its only been 9 months which I think is still kind of new, how are your coralline growth? How do you maintain your calcium, and alkaline..Also how do you replenish your evaporate?

thanks for replys

The tank is 2 to 3 years old, just 9 months into sps coralline growth is all over and growing more every day.

Cal alk maintianed by geo calcium reacter very steady been on system for 7 to 8 months

Top off is automatic with RODI water around 3 gallions a day dosed to tank alk # with baking soda.

Ph does fluctuate at worst 7.9 to 8.2 in the last hour the ligths are on.
A safer ranges is 7.9 to 8.1. it bearly reach 8.2

I chased this around for a while but have talked to others who have a lot of sps with alot of growth and they have large flucations as well so i stoped worring about this several months back. I have a refug. on reverse cycle does not do a thing for it (10 to12 gall, cheto,DSB).I do not want to dose Kalk.

I would think if this was the problem more corals would have problems and the one's that died would not have lived for so long before they died. i am up for discussing this b/c i am having problems but do not care to debate the use of Kalk.

Question anyone ever seen a coral swell like the one in the pic?

I feel this is the sign of the problem but i am new at sps so thats why i here.

The other key to me is its all a similar type of coral all thin branching bottle brush/ echinta? Whats does this mean are they more difficult to keep.

I am going back to basic setup design problem, b/c i am anal about testing but am quick to add things i think will improve the tank or fix a problem. My system have been evolving the whole time as i get more money and experiance.

Thanks for all questions and idea's please keep them coming.

P.S. forgive spelling and grammar

Joe

Back