What's the dumbest thing you've done to your tank?

Adjusted my dosing pumps the other week... when doing so make sure you’re adjusting the right pump. Needed to up calcium and ended up adjusting trace elements way up and calcium levels continued to decline. Also, thought I slightly increased alk but dosed too much and it was on the high end. My numbers were all out of whack.

To make matters worse I started to get Cyano so I tested my water... high nitrates low phosphates. Dosed some NoPox. Cyano outbreak. Test kits had expired. New reagents were ordered and I had high phosphates and lower nitrates. This caused the Cyano outbreak (low nitrates/excess phophates). Now the cyano is finally on the downward swing and tank is going back to normal more and more everyday. Gotta do a couple more water changes to get my tank back to normal.

Oh yea. After putting my current tank in I cleaned the glass w a black scrub pad.
Did a great job of putting a few long scratches on the inside:) probably 3 days in
They are still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a few peppermint shrimp to get rid of some aiptasia I found in my tank. After they were done with it, they went after my nice anemones. By the time I was able to catch them, they had destroyed my rbta and two of my rock anemones. I was able to save the rest of my rock anemone collection but it took some time for them to recover.

It's been a few years since that nightmare. So now if there is any aiptasia in a frag or a rock, I put it in the sump and I'll get one or two peppermints and leave them there until they clean it and then back to the display. The shrimp stay in the sump and away from my nice nems.

Another mistake of mine... adding some tampa bay rock to my tank. I ended up introducing 2 gorilla crabs and 3 pistol shrimps. It was such a small rock too... Took me forever to get those gorillas out.

Another mistake of mine... adding some tampa bay rock to my tank. I ended up introducing 2 gorilla crabs and 3 pistol shrimps. It was such a small rock too... Took me forever to get those gorillas out.

For me it was when I 1st started. Oh, look at the little crab. Man all the headaches from not killing it and looking for more. The kicker is I had the rock in the 20L for a while too. :oops:

I accidently knocked my lights into my tank while cleaning and reached in to grab it out without thinking. It was a split second stupid reaction. The lights died but praise God I did not.

Made the mistake of scrubbing palys off of live rock that were taking over the tank when I first started back in the hobby again. Woke up in the middle of the night with chills and feeling crappy. Still didn't know what the problem was until I did it again a few months later and woke up with chills and feeling crappy... finally figured out how dangerous that can be and learned about Palytoxins... I don't screw with them anymore!

Made the mistake of scrubbing palys off of live rock that were taking over the tank when I first started back in the hobby again. Woke up in the middle of the night with chills and feeling crappy. Still didn't know what the problem was until I did it again a few months later and woke up with chills and feeling crappy... finally figured out how dangerous that can be and learned about Palytoxins... I don't screw with them anymore!
Wear gloves and run carbon when trimming them! If you had a cut on your hand it could have been much worse than just chills and not feeling good.

Back