What t5 bulds do you recommend

itsamyheff

Supporting
Reaction score
I just picked up a aqualife t5 hybrid fixture. I went from metal halides back in the day to leds. I never had t5's. What do you guys and girls like to run?

Agree with @sharis100 . When I researched this topic a while ago, I found that most go with 2x Blue Plus for a 4 bulb fixture leaving the other two selections up to you. The Coral Plus is the next must have in my opinion, whether the 4th is another coral plus, a purple plus (more white light spectrum than Coral Plus) or an Actinic (not a significant contributor to par, but providing lower end spectrum) is personal preference.

For my hybrids I use 2x Blue Plus, 1x Coral Plus, and 1x Actinic. I dropped the Purple plus when I was having an algae problem and never really missed it afterwards. Also, I only run my T5's for 4 hours a day (Peak), using my LED's for the majority of the time including to ramp up and ramp down.

Also, if you put a brand new bulb in the socket and it doesn't light, try another bulb before going further. I have had a higher number of DOA bulbs than I would have expected. One out of every 4 generally. I order mine and have them shipped in, so maybe it's related to that.

I'm in general agreement with the above. On my hybrid setup I run 2x Blue Plus and 2x Actinics. For a bulb only combo I think 2 blue plus, 1 actinic, 1 coral plus is always a pretty solid way to go. I'm bigger on the actinic bulbs than your average reefer.

What size fixture are you working with? I have a bunch of old used 24" T5 bulbs if you want to give some combos a test drive.

Agree with @sharis100 . When I researched this topic a while ago, I found that most go with 2x Blue Plus for a 4 bulb fixture leaving the other two selections up to you. The Coral Plus is the next must have in my opinion, whether the 4th is another coral plus, a purple plus (more white light spectrum than Coral Plus) or an Actinic (not a significant contributor to par, but providing lower end spectrum) is personal preference.

For my hybrids I use 2x Blue Plus, 1x Coral Plus, and 1x Actinic. I dropped the Purple plus when I was having an algae problem and never really missed it afterwards. Also, I only run my T5's for 4 hours a day (Peak), using my LED's for the majority of the time including to ramp up and ramp down.

Also, if you put a brand new bulb in the socket and it doesn't light, try another bulb before going further. I have had a higher number of DOA bulbs than I would have expected. One out of every 4 generally. I order mine and have them shipped in, so maybe it's related to that.
That's alot of doa. Thanks for the info.

I'm in general agreement with the above. On my hybrid setup I run 2x Blue Plus and 2x Actinics. For a bulb only combo I think 2 blue plus, 1 actinic, 1 coral plus is always a pretty solid way to go. I'm bigger on the actinic bulbs than your average reefer.

What size fixture are you working with? I have a bunch of old used 24" T5 bulbs if you want to give some combos a test drive.
It's a 48". I appreciate it.

Search for the T5 thread… years ago I took info from grim’s famous T5 post on rc. Also did lots of color pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BooM

THE T5 Question and Answer Thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back