Skimmer hours and chaeto lighting...

johnnydeez

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone, was wondering how long you have your skimmers running... constantly? 5-6 hours? 12 hours? I was running mine 24/7 but I’m rethinking that...
Also, what is the light cycle you give your chaeto in your sump or refugium. Sorry can’t spell.

thanks for any feedback:) John.

There is no right answer to this. The nutrient levels in the system dictate how you adjust the schedules and every system is different.

Generally, newer systems have higher nutrient loads and a harder time removing them. On these, running the skimmer 24/7 and the refugium up to 18-20hrs a day is not uncommon.
As systems mature and the coral biomass goes up it's ability to uptake nutrients go up. But then there's different types of systems...

FOWLR would stay at the max.
Softy/LPS would lean towards the max as well.
Mixed reef. This is where tuning will become more of a factor.
SPS dominant. Tuning is now important.

The faster coral grows the more it can take up nutrients. And it goes up exponentially the more mass there is. Some people will actually end up having to dose NO3 & PO4 just to keep detectable levels after cutting the skimmer back to 12hrs and shutting down the fuge entirely. Again every system is different.

There is no right answer to this. The nutrient levels in the system dictate how you adjust the schedules and every system is different.

Generally, newer systems have higher nutrient loads and a harder time removing them. On these, running the skimmer 24/7 and the refugium up to 18-20hrs a day is not uncommon.
As systems mature and the coral biomass goes up it's ability to uptake nutrients go up. But then there's different types of systems...

FOWLR would stay at the max.
Softy/LPS would lean towards the max as well.
Mixed reef. This is where tuning will become more of a factor.
SPS dominant. Tuning is now important.

The faster coral grows the more it can take up nutrients. And it goes up exponentially the more mass there is. Some people will actually end up having to dose NO3 & PO4 just to keep detectable levels after cutting the skimmer back to 12hrs and shutting down the fuge entirely. Again every system is different.
Thank you for the great feedback and informative reply!

Skimmer 24/7 w/CO2 scrubber. Fuge light 9PM to 9AM. That fuge light schedule is a holdover from before we had the frag tank plumbed in. The frag tank now runs opposite the display (on at night) to even out the normal dip in PH when the display lights go out for the night.

Skimmer 24/7 w/CO2 scrubber. Fuge light 9PM to 9AM. That fuge light schedule is a holdover from before we had the frag tank plumbed in. The frag tank now runs opposite the display (on at night) to even out the normal dip in PH when the display lights go out for the night.
Ok so I'm hearing that the chateo lighting needs to be opposite the display tank lighting. But why is this, because of ph balance? in my head it seems like the fuge/chaeto should be on during tank hours and everything should be off together. And pretty much unanimous on the skimmer on 24/7 right? And on a side note, are skimmers supposed to be quite noisy? Mine is very loud and gurgly.... and what is the benefit of a C02 scrubber? Also with chaeto will i need GFO in my sock and bio pellet reactor rolling? my corals seem very happy....

Back