Salt Mix Values

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
I was trying to find a comprehensive list of salt mix values and couldn't. So, I decided to make one myself. I only went with the big 3 values along with cost/gallon. I was hoping to get some feedback. I mainly went by manufacturer's listed levels and listed the low end of their range. However, I know that is sometimes for levels different than we typically keep our tanks. So, if anyone has information on mixing these to ~35ppt or if there are any mixes I don't have listed I'd love to add/update my info here.

1565021016277.png

Attachments

• 1565006372440.png
    1565006372440.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for putting this together. It is a good reference for many of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this spreadsheet. Previously, I was also looking for something similar as well; except I wanted to see the trace component breakdown of each as well.

I couldn’t find much outside of 1 person testing 1 unused salt mix. If nobody else does it; maybe I’ll try to put something together myself.

I can provide the spreadsheet as a google doc if that helps to make it editable by the masses

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sure post a link. We can always update the OP with the latest and greatest as well.

I'll probably have to wait until I get home. I can't access google apps from work. I can try to upload the file itself.

Added in LA salt (at current sale prices). I think I need to order some salt. Levels look good for what I want and at 0.24/gal price is hard to beat.

1565020177891.png

Added in LA salt (at current sale prices). I think I need to order some salt. Levels look good for what I want and at 0.24/gal price is hard to beat.
OP is updated. LA can be had several times a year in the mid $30's per box when it's on sale. I believe this past Saturday was the last sale.

Its still on sale right now but not the absurd sale that was happening earlier

Attaching a link to a google drive document with the data. I adjusted the values on some from before using some of the BRS testing. I also added a column with BRS calculated $/gal values for mixed at 35ppt. They only did 8 of their popular mixes.

Still using instant ocean here! I been using it in my mixing tank for a year, still pretty clean, no brown residue and you just can't beat the price. I use to think I had to spend more money on salt, but I think instant ocean has proven to me it works perfectly fine and is readily available. Just picked up 2 more buckets for $70. This is typically how much I pay, so $35 /160G (139.5G as tested at 35ppm) = 25c /gal.

To be clear, I'm not trying to convince anyone to use Instant Ocean, I just don't think people should be afraid of it cause of the price point. Its consistent, been around forever, and the price doesn't mean low quality at all.

Last edited:
Still using instant ocean here! I been using it in my mixing tank for a year, still pretty clean, no brown residue and you just can't beat the price. I use to think I had to spend more money on salt, but I think instant ocean has proven to me it works perfectly fine and is readily available. Just picked up 2 more buckets for $70. This is typically how much I pay, so $35 /160G (139.5G as tested at 35ppm) = 25c /gal.

To be clear, I'm not trying to convince anyone to use Instant Ocean, I just don't think people should be afraid of it cause of the price point. Its consistent, been around forever, and the price doesn't mean low quality at all.

Are you using the orange or purple box? Are you dosing anything?

Are you using the orange or purple box? Are you dosing anything?
Purple is the regular instant ocean. Orange is Reef Crystals, which is known to leave a nasty brown residue. I do not use Reef Crystals at all because of that residue, I had the same experience.

Also, Instant Ocean is readily available at local Petco, where I just got 2 buckets:
1668009747963.png

Back