Reviving live rock

flyguy

Supporting
Reaction score
I am also new to the forums ( last month). I ran a 75 bow front for about 8 years with some success and little knowledge. Last year it crashed and neither of the two shops I dealt with could figure out what happened. Anyway I tore it down. Now I decided to start over with a bigger tank for one more try to do it right. As stated before I found and bought a 125 wide and started buying better lights, pumps and etc. as i built a stand. The tank was acrylic and when I filled it it had a small leak in the corner joint so back to the 75. My question for you guys is my rock. It was live rock with good coraline color but sat dry for six months. I have been cycling it in saltwater and heat for about six month now. It looks mostly like white base rock but the water is stable. My tank is still about a month from set up. Is there any way to start the rock like seeding it, adding live sand or adding a piece of active live rock before my tank is up ? I do have a 60 gallon tank in the basement that I could run lights and etc. to put the rock in.

Yup. That’s all exactly right.

You have been running it in saltwater for 6 months. Just curious. Does the saltwater smell terribly? And if you take the rock out; does it smell?

You could have added some good bacteria at the beginning. Nonetheless, there’s no time like the present! Add some bacteria, live sand, or other live rock... as you mentioned. The bacteria population will probably have plenty to feed off of from the old live rock, and their population will grow. That is what is “live rock”: rock populated with nitrifying bacteria.

If you want to start coralline growth, then lights are required. But lights are not required to make it live again.

Great. Thanks. the rock is cycled. No smells, numbers are all good. Rocks just look like base rock.I was hoping to get the tank up and running but since it is down the wife wants the wood floor refinished first. That won't be happening until after the holidays.

Great!!!

When you say ‘cycled’, I just want to ensure you understand what that means. It means that you have introduced both nitrifying bacteria and a food source. And that the bacteria population has grown.

If the rock is already cycled; then there is no requirement to add more bacteria, sand, or rock. “Live rock” is “cycled rock” (unless we want to talk semantics as I don’t use the term “cycled” as it implies completion, so I prefer “cycling” to imply an ongoing and never ending process... but I’m a researcher, so I’m weird).

Did you ever add bacteria, sand, or other live rock? If not, perhaps you meant that the rock is cured, or some other term.

I guess I meant cured. It was live rock and in a reef tank for years. Then it was left dry for about six months when tank crashed. since then it has been in a trash can of salt water,heat and aeration. I am trying to shorten time for the rock to be "live". I was thinking to place some of it in the spare 60 gallon and add the lights and bacteria to start the coraline growth and then transfer everything to the display tank when it is ready.

Ya, if you want coralline, then lights are good. Otherwise, if you want it to be “live” or “cycled” then you need to add some bacteria. No lights necessary.

Sorry if all of this just repeated. lol. But I think you got everything

Back