Ocean Force Skimmer, setup!

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but here are some pics of the new skimmer setup for the MRC forum.

My tank water is pretty dirty so you can see it's already pulling stuff out.

Setup was a snap...there is not much adjustment except the air in for the pump.

Thanks to all the folks that help put together such a nice skimmer!

IMG_2885.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2886.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_28862.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2887.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2888.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2889.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2891.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2893.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2894.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_2895.jpg
alt="" />

So, can you comment on it's effectiveness yet? When I was down there at MRC, Tim said they would probably rate that one (the 71W powered version) around 200 gallons (I think). Just curious what you think.

Another question, can bubble plate skimmers be modded for recirc/gate valves? Or do they not accept those mods well?

Looks to be well made. I am a bit skeptical about the flat transition into the neck/cup though. Seems like a cone would have helped??? Maybe Tim can chime in on that.

46bfinga;197917 wrote: Looks to be well made. I am a bit skeptical about the flat transition into the neck/cup though. Seems like a cone would have helped??? Maybe Tim can chime in on that.

That's an easy one. We don't have a heat forming machine... yet. However, we are getting really good results with this design. The neck reduces twice from the body. The second reduction causes the turbulance to break leading to bubble rise and dry foam.

A gate valve can be added. I would probably only add one if you reduce the height of the drain pipe.

DannyBradley;197954 wrote: That's an easy one. We don't have a heat forming machine... yet. However, we are getting really good results with this design. The neck reduces twice from the body. The second reduction causes the turbulance to break leading to bubble rise and dry foam.

A gate valve can be added. I would probably only add one if you reduce the height of the drain pipe.

That explain's it thanks. Out of curiousity how does the neck reduce twice?

This is a very sturdy skimmer (Well built). Thanks for posting the pics Loren, looks like it's doing a good job so far!

dawgdude;197964 wrote: Look at the pics of the neck and collection cup. I didnt notice it until he pointed it out. Very cool.

Got ya. Thanks

I made a comment on his build thread about the neck.

What is the air draw on it?

I will hook my meter up to it and we can find out if they have not released them yet.

It does look to be pulling some nasty stuff.

Joe

Yeah, I finally got it setup. It's so nice to have the pump in another room...my tank is so quiet now.

Bleedingthought;198000 wrote: Nice sump! :D

Not a fan of the neck, either. The pump shooting upward bugs me a bit as well. But that thing is pulling some gunk, I'll give you that!

LorenK do you have a link to the skimmer. I think I need to upgrade.

sailfish;198005 wrote: I made a comment on his build thread about the neck.

What is the air draw on it?

I will hook my meter up to it and we can find out if they have not released them yet.

It does look to be pulling some nasty stuff.

Joe

Dont overthink it people. The proof is in the pudding. The beckett line has the same type of neck design, and they are the pinnacle of beckett skimmers available. MRC reliability, research, and build is second to none, so its pretty laughable to second guess it. But, to each their own. I'm sure Tim and Danny have built and tested dozens or more of these things to make the best possible unit. I will go with their expertise and ability.

Yeah, I saw these things in action ot MRC's facility. Not that I can really see </em>turbulence that well, but the bubble action was really controlled in the running test models. I could really see the benefit of the bubble plate design, as the bubbles gently rose from plate to top in a pretty calm, straight motion. In comparison, my G2 blows the bubbles in from the side, and on the opposite side, it looks tike a typhoon of bubbles going in all directions.

I think most of the comments mine included are legitimate concerns in respect to the skimmer design. Just wait till it hits Reef Central and you see it get the same criticism there also.

I sure they did there research and that the skimmer works well. It looks like it’s is doing a good job on Loren’s tank right now. This does not mean that it could not perform better with some modification. Who knows this all just speculation at this point.

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Good luck MRC and hope this is the first of many more to come. </span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Joe</span></span></span>

Bleedingthought;198039 wrote: Extra turbulance towards the top, despite the bubble plate. Maybe not. :)

I dont think thats an issue at all. As you mention the *purpose* of the bubble plate is continuity. Look at the froth from Lorens picture- I dont think its an issue. In fact, I would guarantee its not an issue.

Ender, that skimmer looks huge! Can you scale it down for a 40 gallon tank? That is what these skimmers are, not a scaled up version. To be honest, I think MRC is planning on making a gigantic one at some point, it which case I would be very interetsed in hearing criticisms then.

sailfish;198103 wrote: I think most of the comments mine included are legitimate concerns in respect to the skimmer design. Just wait till it hits Reef Central and you see it get the same criticism there also.

I sure they did there research and that the skimmer works well. It looks like it’s is doing a good job on Loren’s tank right now. This does not mean that it could not perform better with some modification. Who knows this all just speculation at this point.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Good luck MRC and hope this is the first of many more to come. </span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Joe</span></span></span>

This is a cheap and effectrive needlewheel skimmer, which is what it was designed for. By a company that knows what its doing. Sure, you could add bells and whistles and double the price. But why not just buy a higher end skimmer then?

This isnt a reinvention of the wheel, it is a niche in the market. The wheel has been made already.

Bleedingthought;198039 wrote: Extra turbulance towards the top, despite the bubble plate. Maybe not. :)

To tell you the truth, it corrects this problem. See if you have the pump shoot in from the side, all those bubbles hit the side of the chamber and create larger bubbles, by having the pump under the skimmer and feed up, you eliminate this problem and keep the smaller bubble size that you are using the NW pump to produce!!! So I would say that Ender's skimmer has that design problem (Not to mention that he has elbows in his plumbing which will cause bubbles to collide!)

<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">We have not released these because we are still "tweaking" the design. The bubble plates in the later prototypes actually have a void of holes in the middle to further diffuse the bubbles from the pump (see picture) - Loren's was a slightly earlier prototype.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">We are not trying to compete with Bubble King - these are well made - yet economical - entry level skimmers.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Century Gothic;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Our beckett skimmers remain our higher level skimmers.</span></span>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Back