Mr-1

chibils

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at a used MR-1. Judging by the looks, it is old(er). All of the fittings/trim/etc. is a "schedule-80 gray" and the thumb screws are white. The body looks shortened and the neck looks elongated compared to the pictures currently on the mrc site. There are some other aesthetic changes, such as the injector housing.

Can anyone approximate an age for me? If so, what is the difference?

Thanks,
Scott

Was waiting on a pic.

IMG_3714.jpg
alt="" />

From my understanding, no mods have been made. This is just how the skimmer is.

That's an MR-1 with a quick release. It looks like a union has been added to the injector for ease of plumbing.

The skimmer looks to be in good shape. The union won't affect performance.

But this is the same build, more or less, as the ones currently for sale? It is no different (besides cosmetically) than the newer MR-1s? Because if it's not the same, I'd rather drive up there and buy it. He wants 300, and I can diy a waste collector for $0. Plus I have a spare pump lying around. :D

Chibils;381126 wrote: But this is the same build, more or less, as the ones currently for sale? It is no different (besides cosmetically) than the newer MR-1s? Because if it's not the same, I'd rather drive up there and buy it. He wants 300, and I can diy a waste collector for $0. Plus I have a spare pump lying around. :D

Do yourself a favor and get the peace of mind of a new unit. A standard MR-1 is $320, in stock. Worth $20 imo.

Yeah. I've almost taken an MR-2 for $175 shipped, but I only have 25" clearance under my stand. Plus it's way overkill. ;)

My spare pump is a Mak4.

Raj, please let me know if a used/refurbished/anything MR-1 becomes available. Since my tank is 90G, I simply can't justify a $325 skimmer. Around Christmas, I'll be plumbing another 40G tank into my tank, so I want to find a way to fit an MR-2. They seem to be more commonly available.

P.P.S. I told him no way. An MR-2 costs less than that used.

Chibils;381138 wrote: Yeah. I've almost taken an MR-2 for $175 shipped, but I only have 25" clearance under my stand. Plus it's way overkill. ;)

My spare pump is a Mak4.

Raj, please let me know if a used/refurbished/anything MR-1 becomes available. Since my tank is 90G, I simply can't justify a $325 skimmer. Around Christmas, I'll be plumbing another 40G tank into my tank, so I want to find a way to fit an MR-2. They seem to be more commonly available.

P.P.S. I told him no way. An MR-2 costs less than that used.

$325 is nothing to spend on a quality skimmer. A 90g tank is nothing to be ashambed of..that's a good sized tank. And remember, it's not the tank, it's the inhabitants that will benefit from the skimmer.

DOn't hold your breath on a used skimmer from MRC. We don't get any returns...ever. Anything built that is not perfect is immediately destroyed; we don't sell "Seconds". :)

The only reason I'm interested in an MRC skimmer is that I know they're so good.

However, my Octo NW150 is doing a decent job. Medium bioload with a huge refugium and very few corals. Is an MR-2 managable with 25" clearance under the stand? It's very difficult to remove the Octo cup as-is because of the funky angle between the top of the sump and the bottom of the door cavity in my stand. I imagine a beast like an MR-2 would dwarf the whole thing, yet I'm drooling over them. It's the first thing I look for any time I get on rc. I just... stare at them. Hell, it took me almost an hour to fit the Octo into my sump through the door cavity in the stand. An MR-2 wouldn't fit even if I crammed it in. I'm looking at one used for $225+shipping (probably negotiable since it started at $300 and has been dropping with little interest) - and that includes the pump! I'll have no use for the one I have now. :)

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't hesitate a bit to drop $325 on one of your skimmers. However, as a part-time college student, my annual income is less than $5000. And I have to buy a controller and all related accessories before I head off to school again next week.

If I could cram it in there, how difficult is it to diy a waste collector? :) Just drill a 3/8" hole, teflon tape some airline hose onto the cup, and let 'er drain into a 3L?

Edit: Sorry for the rambling. I'm tired.

I found a used MR-1 for $100 shipped! With waste collector! I'll jump on it, I hope. :3

Great price for a great product. Hopefully I can get some more pics and a definitive age.
Also, will a Mak 4 work with an MR-1?

It is three years old. Is it the same skimmer that you make today? Damage doesn't concern me too much as there are no moving parts, but it appears to be in good condition.

Pics to come tomorrow!

How new is this? (Or rather, how closely can you date it by the "MRC MR-1" tag?)

skimmer.jpg
alt="" />
skimmer4.jpg
alt="" />

Also, can an MR-1 happily be run on a Mak4?

Thanks for all the help!

It's the weekend, have patience.

But how awesome is it that you're getting customer service buying a used product and not from a dealer.

Chibils;382204 wrote: Pretty awesome, even though it is their product. :D

Try going to a Ford dealership and tell them you're buying a used Focus from a 3rd party (not a new one from the dealer), but want to know a lot of info about the car, and see what happens.

It has the older injector, but current beckett. You'll need a new gate valve depending on how you plumb it as it looks like the glued PVC exiting it was cut off flush.

That's a 3rd party trying to sell the product as well. :)
If I went to Ford and asked them to tell me about the Focus, I'm sure (or at least hope :/) they'd be willing to help me out.

But I get your point.

Is the older injector a point of concern?

Ok, if you went to the CEO of Ford and asked him to tell you about a Focus, then this would be comparable, lol.

Back