Lighting questions

silveradositn

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not sure of this is right place to ask but here goes.
I'm setting up a 5ft 150 reef. Will be a mixed reef.
So im asking opinions on lighting setup for it.
4 kessil a360x blue
Or
3 gen5 or 6 radion xr30
Both setups will have 2 60"orphek led strips.

Why not just use 5-6 60” Orphek strips. PAR will be equal or even better with much more even spread and most likely cheaper.

Well lol I already have the 2 60inch orphek bars and 3 kessil a360x pondering buy a 4th to make sure spread is good on 60in tank.
Now on the other hand I love the radion easy-to-use programming. And also I've not had much experience with kessil and orphek. That's one of the reasons I'm getting advice.
Lol I've been in hobby 20years and 20k radium halides were the hot item. Now coming back in after a long break leds are the hot thing and the only experience I've had is with ai and radions.

I recently ditched my gen 5 Radion (blue) for the Orphek option, couldn’t be happier. No schedule to program I just use myHydros to turn them on and off.

While on the other hand, I just got into Radion G5 Blues and really do like the AB+ schedule. The color spectrum is great, not even sure why they are called "Blues". Its a nice crisp white/blue color. Also, corals responded very well.

I don't think any of your options are bad, they will all grow corals. If you're coming from Halides, I think the Kessils will probably give you more of that halide look, if that is what you're aiming for.

I got 3 gen 5 on my tank and love them also running t5 on 4 hours a day and get amazing colors and growth. Also for your tank get 3 xr15 u dont need the xr30

Last edited:
I'm not sure of this is right place to ask but here goes.
I'm setting up a 5ft 150 reef. Will be a mixed reef.
So im asking opinions on lighting setup for it.
4 kessil a360x blue
Or
3 gen5 or 6 radion xr30
Both setups will have 2 60"orphek led strips.
Have you considered the new blades?

I used A500s (3) for my 6' mixed reef and things look pretty good. I did that to keep them a little higher off the tank for aesthetic reasons.

The a500x kessil? I've pondered getting some but it would be cheaper for me to just add a a360x since I already have 3. And also already have the 2 orphek strips. The blades look nice.

The a500x kessil? I've pondered getting some but it would be cheaper for me to just add a a360x since I already have 3. And also already have the 2 orphek strips. The blades look nice.
I had some pretty specific requirements not related to corals so they made sense. Adding an a360 and using the LED strips seems like a good answer to me.

Back